Cheng-Tsung Pan of Taiwan shot a 5-under 65 Tuesday to put himself in position for a top seed in match play at the U.S. Amateur championship at Cherry...
CHERRY HILLS VILLAGE, Colo. — Cheng-Tsung Pan of Taiwan shot a 5-under 65 Tuesday to put himself in position for a top seed in match play at the U.S. Amateur championship at Cherry Hills.
Pan, who plays at the University of Washington, finished two days of stroke play qualifying over the CommonGround and Cherry Hill courses at 7-under-par 134. Pan is two shots behind Bobby Wyatt, who shot a 2-under 68 for a 9-under 132.
Jeff Osberg matched Pan at 7 under.
Husky Chris Williams, the current No. 1 ranked amateur in the world, shot 2-over 73 but still ended up 3-under 138 overall and tied for seventh.
- Students seeking sugar daddies for tuition, rent
- Purple Heart plant bed vandalized days before Memorial Day
- Refusal in Bernie Sandersland to accept reality is really unreal
- Central District’s shrinking black community wonders what’s next
- All’s still not smooth for Uber after its bumpy ride to Sea-Tac Airport
Most Read Stories
“I’m hitting the ball great, driving well,” Pan said. “Hitting irons well, and my long game is always good. I executed every shot well.”
Pan said he drew a lot of encouragement from his qualifying play.
“I feel good about these two rounds,” Pan said. “Gives me confidence going into match play. My goal is to win the tournament, and higher seeds always have an advantage.”
• Co-medalists Jordan Ferreira of University Place and Hannah Swanson of Forest Park, Ore., advanced to the quarterfinals of the Pacific Northwest Junior Girls’ Amateur Championship at Sunland Golf and Country Club in Sequim.
Ferreira, the No. 1 seed in the bracket, edged No. 16 seed Mersadie Tallman of Issaquah, 5 and 4. Swanson, the No. 2 seed, earned a 1-up victory over Cherokee Kim of DuPont.
• Erik Hanson of Kirkland and Tom Brandes of Bellevue both fired rounds of 2-under-par 70 at Moses Lake Golf Club to share the first-round lead at the Washington State Men’s Mid-Amateur Championship.
Compiled from The Associated Press and other sources.