RALEIGH, N.C. — Washington’s men’s golf team got off to a quick start before rain halted play Thursday at the NCAA Raleigh Regional.
The Huskies were 10-under as a team in the middle of the back nine, trailing just Georgia Tech (14 under) in the 13-team competition. The top five teams advance to the NCAA Championships.
“We played really well today,” said UW coach Matt Thurmond. “We started off strong and made a bunch of birdies and not too many bogeys. I was happy with our play, but that also shows how well Georgia Tech played. They were exceptional.”
Washington’s Trevor Simsby is 4 under after 15 holes and is tied for second individually.
- Amazon rolls out free same-day delivery for Prime members
- They were millionaires for 3 months, but Seattle couple didn't know it
- 'Granny panties' making a comeback as women say no to thongs
- Russell Wilson's agent says in 710 ESPN Seattle interview that contract talks are 'encouraging'
- It's time to let Carson Smith replace Fernando Rodney as closer
Most Read Stories
• Left-hander Mac Acker struck out 10 batters in six innings in leading Seattle University (24-24, 12-10 Western Athletic) to a 4-2 victory over Cal State Bakersfield (23-30, 14-11) at Bannerwood Park in Bellevue. Acker didn’t give up a walk in his six innings, in which he gave up two runs on six hits. Garrett Anderson came on in relief in the seventh and gave up just two hits over the final three innings.
• At the WAC track championships in Orem, Utah, Seattle U’s Graham Kinzel-Grubbs took sixth in the men’s 10,000 in 34:14.88. For the SU women, Taylor de Laveaga was eighth in 39:28.77.
• Seattle Pacific announced the signing of five players to play next season for the men’s basketball team. Included in the group is 6-foot-4 guard Coleman Wooten of Tahoma High, who averaged 25.6 points, 12.5 rebounds and 3.9 assists for the Bears. He is the career leading scorer at Tahoma.
• Madeline Dietz, a freshman out of Newport High in Bellevue, was named the most valuable player on the William Smith College women’s golf team.
From sports-information reports.