CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Phil Mickelson was entertaining to the very end Thursday and finished one shot behind Angel Cabrera in the first round of the Wells Fargo Championship.
Cabrera played in early, calmer conditions and thrived on the new Bermuda greens at Quail Hollow. He made seven birdies, including a 40-footer from just off the green, and turned in a 6-under-par 66 that stood as the lead the rest of the day.
Mickelson caught him twice and couldn’t hold it.
Coming off his first missed cut at the Masters in 17 years, Mickelson handled the strong, swirling wind in the afternoon for a 5-under 67, tied with Martin Flores. Mickelson hit only one fairway on the back nine. He bogeyed both of the par 3s. He chipped poorly and atoned for it with long par putts.
- Death of Evergreen senior, other player injuries renew football-safety debate
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Seahawks Game Center: Seattle holds off Detroit Lions for 'Monday Night Football' victory
- Watch: Former Mariners great Ichiro Suzuki pitches — yes, pitches — for the Marlins
Most Read Stories
Webb Simpson, the former U.S. Open champion and a member at Quail Hollow, had seven birdies for a 68. Stewart Cink and Jonathan Byrd also were at 68.
Rory McIlroy made six birdies and was in the large group at 69 that included U.S. Open champion Justin Rose and Martin Kaymer, who played his final four holes in 2 under par despite not making a birdie or a par. Kaymer went bogey-eagle-eagle-bogey.
Ryan Moore from Puyallup shot a 70. Michael Putnam from University Place had a 73. Kyle Stanley from Gig Harbor shot a 74. Former Husky Richard H. Lee had a 75.
• Suzann Pettersen shot a bogey-free 5-under 66 to take the first-round lead in the North Texas LPGA Shootout in Irving. One shot back were Cristie Kerr, Michelle Wie, Caroline Masson, Christina Kim, Cydney Clanton and Dori Carter. Jimin Kang from King’s High School in Shoreline, shot a 71. Former Husky Louise Friberg had a 73.