Four others three shots back at Meridian Valley Country Club in Kent.
Matt Cowell of Lake Padden Golf Club in Bellingham shot a 4-under 68 Tuesday to take a three-shot lead in the Washington Open Invitational at Meridian Valley Country Club in Kent.
Cowell is at 7-under 137. Four players are three shots back, including first-round leader Chris Griffin, Casey McCoy and two four-time champions, Jeff Coston and Todd Erwin.
Michael Haack is the low amateur at 2-under 142 and is tied for seventh.
The competition concludes today and the leaders are scheduled to tee off at 2 p.m. Admission is free.
- WSU study: 'Exploding head syndrome' more common than once thought
- McMorris Rodgers should ask hometown folks about Obamacare
- Oregon Zoo elephant Rama euthanized; loved to paint
- Seattle congestion: We're No. 5
- Ivar's to raise restaurant workers' wages to $15 right away
Most Read Stories
Washington freshman Ying Luo shot even-par 72 in the first round of the NCAA Championship at the University of Georgia Golf Course in Athens and is tied for 20th.
“She played really solid,” said Husky coach Mary Lou Mulflur, who is accompanying the 19-year-old Luo for the four-round event. Nineteen golfers shot under par, led by San Jose State’s Regan De Guzman. She has a two-stroke lead over two golfers after posting a 5-under 67. USC and San Jose State shared the lead at 4-under 284 after the first round.
• Sixth-ranked Western Washington fell eight spots — into a tie for 12th — after shooting a 28-over 312 in the second round of the NCAA Division II Men’s Championships in Hershey, Pa. The top eight after Wednesday’s round advance to match-medal play. Jake Webb, WWU’s top scorer, shot a 4-over 75 to fall into a tie for 15th.
Safety Paris Taylor of L.A. Pierce College will transfer this summer to Washington State as a sophomore, WSU announced.
Three Washington State crews — two varsity eights and a varsity four — got at-large bids to compete in the NCAA Women’s Rowing Championships May 31-June 2 in Indianapolis.
From sports-information reports.