HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. — There were no major letdowns for Masters contenders Matt Kuchar and Jordan Spieth at the RBC Heritage on Thursday.
Kuchar, who tied for fifth at Augusta National, shot a bogey-free 5-under-par 66 to share the first-round lead with Scott Langley and William McGirt.
The 20-year-old Spieth tied for second behind Bubba Watson last Sunday and continued his strong play with a 69, part of a large group tied for fifth at Harbour Town Golf Links.
“I was anxious to get back out and play another competitive round,” Spieth said. “So today was going to be kind of therapy, in a sense, from last week.”
- Who do post-Combine mock drafts have the Seahawks selecting?
- Belltown ticket trap turns drivers into 'sitting ducks'
- Microsoft pair claim 'hostess bar' expense queries led to firing
- Slugger Nelson Cruz makes strong first impression with Mariners
- Seattle's new seawall also a highway for fish
Most Read Stories
Langley and McGirt each had five birdies on the front nine to match Kuchar.
Former Husky Richard H. Lee shot a 70. Michael Putnam from University Place and Kyle Stanley from Gig Harbor had 77s.
• Angela Stanford shot an 8-under 64 on a wind-swept course to take a one-stroke lead after the second round of the LPGA LOTTE Championship in Kapolei, Hawaii. Local favorite Michelle Wie was one stroke back after a 67 that included five birdies.
• Lee Westwood shot a 7-under 65 to take the lead at the storm-affected Malaysian Open in Kuala Lumpur.