SYLVANIA, Ohio — Laura Diaz shot a 9-under-par 62 for a four-stroke lead in Thursday’s opening round of the Marathon Classic.
U.S. Open champion Michelle Wie shot a 2-over 73, while 2008 Marathon winner Paula Creamer was at 72 along with another perennial contender at Highland Meadows, Morgan Pressel.
The defending champion, Spain’s Beatriz Recari, and the world’s No. 1 player, Stacy Lewis, were 1 under.
Despite being winless in the past 12 years on the LPGA Tour, Diaz stunned the field by birdieing her first five holes in a round that included nine birdies and no bogeys. She has cut back on her competitive schedule in recent years while raising her two young children with her husband.
- Students seeking sugar daddies for tuition, rent
- What's the top spelling 'mistake' in Washington state? The answer could make you sick
- UW receiver Isaiah Renfro opens up about depression, announces he's leaving team
- Seattle-based seafood company shuts down
- So the NRA sends a questionnaire to a Seattle state senator ...