SYLVANIA, Ohio — Laura Diaz shot a 9-under-par 62 for a four-stroke lead in Thursday’s opening round of the Marathon Classic.
U.S. Open champion Michelle Wie shot a 2-over 73, while 2008 Marathon winner Paula Creamer was at 72 along with another perennial contender at Highland Meadows, Morgan Pressel.
The defending champion, Spain’s Beatriz Recari, and the world’s No. 1 player, Stacy Lewis, were 1 under.
Despite being winless in the past 12 years on the LPGA Tour, Diaz stunned the field by birdieing her first five holes in a round that included nine birdies and no bogeys. She has cut back on her competitive schedule in recent years while raising her two young children with her husband.
- Kam Chancellor’s forced fumble and K.J. Wright’s illegal batted ball help Seahawks stop Lions
- National media reacts to controversial call on Kam Chancellor
- Evergreen senior’s death renews football-safety debate
- Many homeowners stuck owing more than their houses are worth
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled