SYLVANIA, Ohio — Laura Diaz shot a 9-under-par 62 for a four-stroke lead in Thursday’s opening round of the Marathon Classic.
U.S. Open champion Michelle Wie shot a 2-over 73, while 2008 Marathon winner Paula Creamer was at 72 along with another perennial contender at Highland Meadows, Morgan Pressel.
The defending champion, Spain’s Beatriz Recari, and the world’s No. 1 player, Stacy Lewis, were 1 under.
Despite being winless in the past 12 years on the LPGA Tour, Diaz stunned the field by birdieing her first five holes in a round that included nine birdies and no bogeys. She has cut back on her competitive schedule in recent years while raising her two young children with her husband.
- Black Lives Matter protesters march, conduct sit-ins in downtown Seattle
- Apple Cup Game Center: UW Huskies dominate No. 20 Cougars, shut down WSU's offense in Seattle
- With Luke Falk out, Peyton Bender will start at quarterback for WSU Cougars vs UW Huskies in Apple Cup
- Swarming defense, Myles Gaskin help UW Huskies rout WSU Cougars in Apple Cup
- Teardown town: 1,500 small houses replaced by giants since 2012