Mallory Kent of Tukwila and Lauren Sewell of Renton share the first-round lead in the Washington State Women’s Amateur, while there is a three-way tie at the top of the Washington State Senior Women’s Amateur between Ginny Burkey, Lisa Smego and Sharon Drummey. Both championships are being played concurrently at Twin Lakes Golf and Country Club in Federal Way.
Kent, who just completed her junior year at Washington State, and Sewell, who just ended her junior year at Oregon State, each shot 1-over-par 73.
Burkey, of Fircrest and Smego of Olympia are both past champions of the Senior Amateur. They, along with Drummey, shot 79.
- Seattle’s vanishing black community
- Bellevue School District seeks to fire football coach Goncharoff over scandal
- Boeing tankers will be delivered to Air Force late — and incomplete
- Paul Allen ends KEXP’s yearslong fundraising drive with $500,000 donation
- A six-pack of observations from Seahawks' OTAs: Justin Britt, Alex Collins, Tharold Simon and more
Most Read Stories
• GE Coleman, associate head coach the past six seasons at Central Washington, was hired as men’s basketball coach last week by Hawaii Hilo.
Coleman, 31, graduated from Central in 2005. He was an assistant coach for two seasons at Eastern Washington before returning to Central in 2007.
• Fifth-year Cal Poly men’s basketball coach Joe Callero, the former Seattle University coach, finalized his staff for the 2013-14 season by hiring Paul Fortier, former UW assistant coach.
• Tom Brandes, an amateur from Bellevue, took medalist honors at the Rope Rider at Suncadia Resort in Cle Elum to earn one of two qualifying spots into the U.S. Senior Open Championship. Tom Hale of Lakewood, also an amateur, earned the other spot. Both players will compete in the 34th U.S. Senior Open, from July 11-14 at Omaha (Neb.) Country Club.
• The Everett Silvertips will host the Holiday Inn Preseason Classic tournament Aug. 30 to Sept. 1 as part of a seven-game preseason schedule. The Seattle Thunderbirds will compete in the event and also play seven exhibition games. Other teams in the tournament are Tri-City, Spokane, Portland and Victoria.
Compiled from sports-information departments and other sources.