FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Corey Pereira, a sophomore at Washington, fired a 62 Wednesday to tie the 1-day-old course record at Pine Canyon Golf Club during the Pacific Coast Amateur.
Pereira went 31-31 with seven birdies, an eagle and one bogey on the 7,272-yard layout. After opening with a 70, Pereira is tied for third at 8-under 132 with Andrew McCain, who opened with a 62. Lorens Chan, a junior at UCLA, leads at 10-under 130 after a 63.
• With the second round wiped out by rain, Cindy Rarick, 54, an ex-LPGA Tour player now living in Leavenworth, won the Northwest Women’s Open at Twin Lakes Golf and Country Club in Federal Way. Rarick, who opened with a 69, collected $3,500 for winning as well as $500 for being the low senior.
- Ivar's to raise restaurant workers' wages to $15 right away
- WSU study: 'Exploding head syndrome' more common than once thought
- Opening day roster looks pretty clear after Sunday cuts
- 3 places off the beaten track in Hawaii
- A mom's tweet about Oreos in school stirs up culture wars
Most Read Stories
• Daniel Cruzen of Kennewick had a hole-in-one on his way to winning the East qualifier for the Washington State Amateur with a 5-under 67 at Wine Valley Golf Club in Walla Walla. He aced the 202-yard eighth hole.
• Washington will face Oklahoma in the MGM Grand Showcase basketball tournament in Las Vegas on Dec. 20 at 6 p.m., it was announced Wednesday.
• Washington pitching coach Lance Glasoe has been named the head coach of the Pacific Lutheran softball program.
• Nate Daligcon has been promoted from assistant coach to associate head coach of the Seattle University men’s soccer program.
• Bethany Drake, a javelin thrower at Western Washington, has been named the Division II Field Women’s Scholar-Athlete of the Year. The sophomore studio art major has a 3.83 GPA.
• Play will start in November for Seattle Impact FC, a member of the new 24-team Major Arena Soccer League that will play its home games at the ShoWare Center in Kent.
• The Seattle Mist of the Legends Football League will play its last regular-season home game this season at ShoWare Center when it meets Las Vegas Sin at 8 p.m. Saturday.