Golfer Cheng-Tsung Pan, a senior at the University of Washington, qualified third Wednesday in the first round of match play of the U.S. Amateur at Atlanta Athletic Club.
Pan beat Zach Healy of Georgia, 4 and 2.
• Brittany Kwon of Bremerton will face Marianne Li of Bellevue Thursday morning at Olympia Country & Golf Club in the final match of the 59th Pacific Northwest Junior Girls’ Amateur Championship. Kwon beat Maddie Nelson of Sammamish and Michelle Kim of Surrey, B.C., on Wednesday. Li beat Ashley Fitzgibbons of Sammamish and Alisha Lau of Richmond, B.C.
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Trump, Clinton win Washington state primary
- Power restored after major, hour-long outage in downtown Seattle
- Reed brother led detectives to bodies believed to be Arlington couple
- Boeing plans hundreds of layoffs in local IT unit
Most Read Stories
• Top seed John Sand of Hoquiam, No. 2 seed Matt Marrese of Bellevue, and Sean Yi of Auburn, along with five others, advanced to Thursday’s quarterfinals of the PNGA Junior Boys’ Amateur Championship at Emerald Valley Golf and Resort in Creswell, Ore.
• Rudy Caparas had a second-day 71 for a 36-hole total of 139 to win the Joe Richer Junior Championship at Legion Memorial Golf Course in Everett.
• Washington added to its women’s basketball staff by hiring former Saint Mary’s star Jackie Nared as the new director of operations.
• UW’s Andrew Andrews scored 12 points as the Pac-12 All-Stars opened up their three-game slate in China with an easy victory over the Chinese University All-Stars, 73-47.
• The Seattle Thunderbirds hockey club traded forward Jaimen Yakubowski to the Moose Jaw Warriors in exchange for a third-round pick in the 2016 Bantam Draft. Yakubowski had nine goals and 10 assists last season.
From sports-information reports.