BENTON HARBOR, Mich. – Colin Montgomerie said he looked forward to the fun when he joined the 50-and-older Champions Tour.
He was clearly enjoying himself Saturday in the Senior PGA Championship when he made a winding, 30-foot birdie putt on the final hole for a 3-under-par 68 and a one-stroke lead entering Sunday’s final round.
“Bloody great,” he said about the birdie putt that took the sting out of a bogey at the 17th hole. “It was going a bit quick. Thank God the hole got in the way. It was downhill, down grain, but it held its line and went in. It was a joyous occasion in the Montgomerie camp.”
Trying to win his first senior major after failing to capture one of golf’s four biggest events on the regular tours, the 51-year-old Scot will take a 7-under 206 total into the final round at Harbor Shores.
- 1 killed, 5 injured in Snohomish Big Four Ice Caves collapse
- Starbucks prices here to rise 3.5 times as much as nationwide
- Seattle weather is an early peek at the future
- Seahawks mailbag: Russell Okung's future, Cliff Avril's role
- Mount St. Helens, still steaming, holds the world’s newest glacier
Most Read Stories
German Bernhard Langer (69) was one stroke behind.
Marco Dawson (64), Bart Bryant (70) and Kiyoshi Murota (70) were tied for third at 5 under.
Rick Fehr (76) from Seattle was tied for 68th place at 8 over.
Chappell shoots a 63
FORT WORTH, Texas – Kevin Chappell, who owns a home in Kirkland, shot the low round of the day — a 7-under 63 — and is one shot off the lead in the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial, a PGA Tour event.
Hideki Matsuyama (64), David Toms (65), Chad Campbell (68) and Chris Stroud (69) shared the third-round lead at 7-under 203.
Chappell was among six players at 6 under and top-ranked Adam Scott (66) was among seven at 5 under.
Chappell played his first 11 holes Saturday in 8 under.
“I used up a lot of luck today,” he said. “I had two chip-ins and made some long putts.”
Michael Putnam (68), who is from University Place, was tied for 50th at 1 under. Kyle Stanley (73) of Gig Harbor was tied for 72nd at 4 over.
• Anna Nordqvist of Sweden shot her second straight 6-under 66 to take the third-round lead in the Airbus LPGA Classic in Mobile, Ala. Nordqvist was at 16-under 200, one ahead of Catriona Matthew (70).
• Thomas Bjorn of Denmark birdied seven of his last eight holes to take a five-stroke lead after the third round of the BMW PGA Championship in Virginia Water, England. Bjorn shot a 5-under 67 and was at 15 under for 54 holes.
Luke Donald (68) of England was in second.