Gamble Sands, the new golf course outside Brewster by noted designer David McLay Kidd, was undamaged despite Central Washington wildfires and opens Saturday, but Alta Lake Golf Course, about 15 miles from Gamble Sands outside Pateros, was hit hard.
The Alta Lake pro shop and living quarters above it, and a fleet of new golf carts were destroyed in the fire as were more than 50 homes, including co-owner Parker Barth’s new residence. The maintenance building burned the next day when a gas tank exploded.
The facility’s motel is intact but needs repair work.
Barth said the golf course is “green and playable” thanks to emergency measures to keep the back nine watered using power from generators. The front nine, which opened in 1974, is on a well system. Gamble Sands has loaned equipment to help Alta Lake. “The golf course is surviving,” Barth said. “It wants to stay alive.”
- Seattle police officer faces firing over arrest of man carrying a golf club
- Mariners’ triple play hadn’t been seen since 1955
- 5 things you should know about Microsoft’s Windows 10
- Before getting the ax, Steve Sandmeyer show was scraping by
- Seattle’s Panama Hotel deemed a National Treasure
Most Read Stories
Alta Lake is a popular destination for Western Washington golfers on a budget.
Gamble Sands has been featured in national golf publications and is an upscale golf destination. Kidd is best known as the designer of Bandon Dunes on the Oregon Coast. Kidd’s mission with Gamble Sands is a return to an emphasis on playability after years of designing courses criticized as too difficult. Standard greens fees for walkers are $130, or $85 after 2 p.m.
• WSU will induct Steve Gleason as a lone new member into its Athletic Hall of Fame this fall. Gleason played from 1995-99 at WSU and finished his career with 282 tackles, ninth-most in school history. Gleason was diagnosed with ALS in 2011.
• Todd Erwin of Tacoma Firs Golf Club won the Senior Oregon Open Invitational Thursday at Wildhorse Resort by six strokes with a tournament record-tying 197.
Sports-information reports contributed