Cameron Peck shot a second consecutive 3-under-par 69 to take a commanding eight-shot lead into the final round at the Washington State Men’s Amateur Championship at Chambers Bay in University Place on Wednesday.
Peck just finished his final year of eligibility at Texas A & M, and said he will turn pro just before PGA Tour Q-School in the fall. He won the 2008 U.S. Junior Amateur Championship, and was named 2008 WSGA Junior Boys Player of the Year.
Cameron Whittle of Moses Lake was 3 under through 13, but struggled to an even-par 72 and is second at 146.
Ryan Earl, who works at a bank and plays out of Capitol City Golf Course in Olympia, was also 3 under after 13 holes but finished with a 71 and a three-way tie for third (147).
- Kam Chancellor’s forced fumble and K.J. Wright’s illegal batted ball help Seahawks stop Lions
- National media reacts to controversial call on Kam Chancellor
- Evergreen senior’s death renews football-safety debate
- Many homeowners stuck owing more than their houses are worth
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
Most Read Stories
• Washington State has added a football series with Rutgers beginning in 2014, with the first game to be played at CenturyLink Field on Friday, Aug. 29, and the return contest Sept. 12, 2015, at Rutgers.
Through a mutual agreement, the Washington State-Wisconsin series scheduled for 2014 and 2015 has been pushed back to 2022 and 2023, with the 2022 game to be played in Madison and the following year at Martin Stadium.
The 2014 season will mark the first meeting between Washington State and Rutgers. Wisconsin is 2-0 all-time against the Cougars, the last meeting coming in 2007 in Madison.
• Five-time defending champion Leslie Folsom advanced to the final of the Seattle Women’s Golf Association City Championship at Fairwood Golf and Country Club with a 4-and-2 victory over Sue Ursino. Oregon State junior Lauren Sewell, a Kentridge High product, also reached the final over Cassie McKinley, 4 and 3.
Compiled from sports-information reports and other sources.