Anyone up for The Wee Dog Days of Summer?
El Paso’s new Pacific Coast League franchise, the Padres’ Class AAA affiliate, will be called the Chihuahuas.
Reggie 3, Modesty 0
Reggie Jackson, 67, isn’t getting any more humble with age. Said the Hall of Fame slugger to HBO’s “Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel,” recalling his three-homer game in the 1977 World Series:
- Whitest big county in the U.S.? It’s us
- Kent family mourns loss of father, two sons in Father’s Day weekend crash
- Ticket prices soar, then drop for World Cup
- Mount St. Helens, still steaming, holds the world’s newest glacier
- Seattle sets heat record for July 4
Most Read Stories
Gumbel: “As you’re trotting around the bases after the third one, what are you thinking?”
Jackson: “Ruth and Gehrig and players like that were going through my mind. And we have won the World Series. And I’d finally climbed over the hill.”
Gumbel: “You didn’t take a moment to think — say to yourself, ‘Damn, I’m good.’ ”
Jackson: “I knew that anyway.”
Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester, accused of having Vaseline on his glove during Game 1 of the World Series, told reporters the substance was:
b) fried-chicken grease.
Singer Wayne Newton’s yacht unexpectedly sank at a Lake Mead marina.
Newton immediately rechristened it the SS Houston Texans.
Channeling Hank Stram
Anybody else have the Kansas City Chiefs in their Last Unbeaten Team pool?
Out of bounds
Tiger Woods’ agent threatened legal action after Golf Channel commentator Brandel Chamblee accused the golfer of cheating.
“Where were you four years ago?” said Elin Nordegren.
All for nothing
The NBA has switched its Finals format to 2-2-1-1-1.
Though for the Orlando Magic, it’s still 0-0-0-0-0.
• Janice Hough of LeftCoastSportsBabe.com, after the Giants re-signed pitcher Tim Lincecum and their ballpark hosted Kanye West’s marriage proposal to Kim Kardashian: “Wonder which relationship will last longer.”
• Comedy writer Alan Ray, on ex-Oregon tight end Colt Lyerla being arrested on cocaine charges: “Teammates suspected something was up when he was on the line: He tried to snort it.”
• Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, on Advil being named the official pain reliever of the NHL: “This is the second-most lucrative endorsement deal, next to being the official bail bondsman of the NFL.”
Pack your bags
Scientists say they’ve discovered new planet with a water-rich atmosphere, called Gliese 1214b.
Simply out of habit, Roger Goodell immediately announced plans to play an NFL game there.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org