With a best friend like this, who needs enemies? A man in Sebring, Fla., was shot in the leg while driving when his dog kicked a loaded...
With a best friend like this, who needs enemies?
A man in Sebring, Fla., was shot in the leg while driving when his dog kicked a loaded pistol lying on the seat of his pickup truck, Highlands Today reported.
No word on whether it was a hunting dog.
- Seahawks agree to contract extension with quarterback Russell Wilson
- Dustin Ackley trade symbolizes continuing dark days of Mariners
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner on contract talks: 'Now. That's my deadline'
- Man shot dead in South Seattle while on phone with mom
Most Read Stories
• From Times reader Ray Wilson: “Pete Carroll declares all positions open to competition / Seahawks flooded with unemployed coaches’ applications.”
• At SportsPickle.com: “49ers trade Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick to the Chiefs just to torture Smith.”
Hot Lead Dept.
In other Florida gun news, a woman in St. Petersburg escaped with only slight injuries when she tried to preheat an oven to cook some waffles — not knowing that a male friend had stashed a box of bullets in it.
On the bright side, it’s the first shooting range in the neighborhood.
A judge in Richmond, B.C., sentenced pee-wee hockey coach Martin Tremblay to 15 days in jail for sticking his leg out in the postgame handshake line and upending two opposing players — ages 10 and 13.
In other words, 21,600 minutes for tripping.
Bambi 1, Biker 0
Cyclist Jeff Plassman was only 15 minutes into the 50-mile Monster Cross and Mountain Bike race in Virginia’s Pocahontas State Park when a fast-moving deer crossed his path and sent him sprawling.
Game wardens suspect the critter was simply hopped up on deer-antler spray.
Turn back the clock
Life-expectancy scientists at Germany’s Max Planck Institute have determined that — compared to 100 years ago — 72 is the new age 30.
Signs point to another Jamie Moyer comeback: He’s not even 21 yet!
Talking the talk
• Comedy writer Tim Hunter, after some pizzas in Denmark were found to contain horse meat: “Police got suspicious when people started betting on Domino’s delivery guys.”
• Cyclist Jeff Plassman, on his blog, on the deer that came out of nowhere to hit him: “All I saw was fur, sky, ground.”
• Times reader Bill Littlejohn, after the Brewers’ Italian Sausage costume went missing: “Anyone check Joey Chestnut’s house?”
Bonus Baby Dept.
And from the “Why, Of Course” File comes word that Twins catcher Joe Mauer and his wife are expecting … twins.
Good thing Joe didn’t catch the daddy bug when he played in Quad Cities.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com