ALBANY, N.Y. — Former University of Washington golfer Sadena Parks rallied Sunday to win the SEFCU Championship on the women’s professional golf Symetra Tour.
Parks, a 24-year-old from Tacoma, matched the course record at Capital Hills with a bogey-free 9-under 62 for a one-stroke victory over Taiwan’s Min Lee. Parks started the day in a tie for 15th, seven shots out of the lead.
“I’ve been waiting two years for this,” Parks said. “I’m just really excited, I can’t wait to talk to my dad, my friends and I just want to take it all in.”
Parks finished at 14-under 199 and earned $15,000 to jump from 14th to sixth on the money list with $36,213. The final top 10 players will earn 2015 LPGA Tour cards.
- Seattle man charged with vehicular homicide in cyclist’s death
- Paying the bill for U.S. Open at Chambers Bay
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- Polygamous Montana trio applies for marriage license
- Undetected measles led to Clallam County woman’s death
Most Read Stories
Parks was second in the previous tour event, the Island Resort Championship on June 29, which was won by another former Husky, Molly Aronsson.
• Michael Thornton, a junior on the Washington crew team, claimed gold for Team Canada in the four-plus competition at the Under-23 World Rowing Championships in Varese, Italy. Other Huskies winning medals in various competition for various countries were Stuart Sim, Henry Meek, Alexander Perkins, Ruth Whyman and Fiona Gammond.