Try a 15-footer? Nah — too easy. Kentucky high-schooler Becca Greenwell hit 17 of 28 shots — all three-pointers — to score...
Try a 15-footer? Nah — too easy.
Kentucky high-schooler Becca Greenwell hit 17 of 28 shots — all three-pointers — to score 51 points in Owensboro Catholic’s 99-35 rout of Whitesville Trinity.
Her 17 threes broke the national record for girls basketball.
- NFL.com says Seahawks have most talented roster in league, and speculate on starting lineup
- 32 families face eviction with sale of Kirkland mobile-home park
- Microsoft employees -- past and present -- look back over the years
- Salary cap expert Joel Corry with another look at Russell Wilson's contract
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
Most Read Stories
• At SportsPickle.com: “Carmelo Anthony’s wife set to release a line of breakfast cereal-scented perfumes.”
• At TheOnion.com: “Lance Armstrong admits to using performance-enhancing drugs to show remorse.”
“These Te’o jokes are all very funny,” tweeted Seth Myers of “Saturday Night Live,” “but let’s all try and remember that a person who never existed is dead.”
Net loss, net gain
Serbia’s Novak Djokovic ripped his shirt off to celebrate his grueling fourth-round victory over Switzerland’s Stanislas Wawrinka at the Australian Open.
So he walked away with a 1-6, 7-5, 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 12-10 win — and a 5.9 from Brandi Chastain.
“Sources are saying that Tiger Woods wants to marry his ex-wife and might be willing to go for a no-cheating clause,” noted TNT’s Conan O’Brien. “This special clause would be known as a wedding vow.”
91 for the thumb
Earl Weaver, the Orioles’ fiery Hall of Fame manager who died Saturday at age 82, owns the American League for career ejections — 91.
“Counting balls and strikes and close plays on the bases, (umpires) must have made over a million calls while I was managing,” he once said, “and except for those 91 or 92 times I disagreed, they got the other ones right.”
• President John F. Kennedy, at the 1962 All-Star Game, to a 41-year-old Stan Musial: “A couple of years ago they told me I was too young to be president and you were too old to be playing baseball. But we fooled them.”
• RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, after Maria Sharapova won her first two Aussie Open matches by 6-0, 6-0 scores: “I haven’t seen that much love since the Sixties.”
• Steve Schrader of the Detroit Free Press, after the NHL ran full-page ads in 40 newspapers to apologize for the lockout: “A nice gesture, sure, but if Gary Bettman really meant it, he would have done it on Oprah.”
Ice that cake
U.S. skating icon Michelle Kwan got married Saturday.
In keeping with Olympic tradition, she got fitted for five rings.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org