This score just in: Jock Mentality 2, Class & Character 0.
A group of Ole Miss football players were accused of yelling sexual slurs at the actors during a campus production of “The Laramie Project” — just days after the 25th-ranked Rebels lost to Alabama, 25-0.
And Lions center Dominic Raiola apologized to Wisconsin for similar slurs he directed at Badgers marching-band members before Sunday’s game against the Packers — a game the Lions lost, 22-9.
So, just stick to playing football, fellas. (And try to play a little better, while you’re at it!)
- Beloved Mama's Mexican Kitchen in Belltown to close
- Paul Allen's First & Goal signs letter expressing concerns over Sodo arena
- Washington officer shoots men accused of earlier beer theft
- Seattle no longer America's fastest-growing big city
- West Seattle couple leaves all their assets -- $847,215 -- to Uncle Sam
Most Read Stories
• At TheOnion.com: “Study finds only safe place to tackle football players is 4-inch area on right thigh.”
• At Fark.com: “Enver beats Allas in a game with no D.”
Call in the cavalry
Oddsmakers have installed the Broncos as a record 27-point favorite over the Jaguars on Sunday.
To put that in perspective, even Custer got 25½ at Little Big Horn.
“I was just thinking that if football games were three quarters instead of four,” wrote Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, “Tony Romo would go down as one of the greatest quarterbacks in history.”
It’s a real downer
The film “Gravity,” the top money-maker at the box office last week, captures:
a) two astronauts’ fight for survival aboard a damaged space shuttle.
b) the Astros sinking to the bottom of the standings, no matter which league they’re in.
Run of the Green Dept.
A woman streaker on the 18th fairway livened up the proceedings Sunday at the President’s Cup golf tournament in Dublin, Ohio.
Apparently she’d heard it was a skins format this year.
• Blogger Chad Picasner, on the Yankees missing the playoffs: “At least there are a couple of former Yankees there to carry on the tradition: A.J. Burnett can’t pitch and Nick Swisher can’t hit. It’s like old times.”
• Janice Hough of LeftCoastSportsBabe.com, on the Eagles and Cowboys sharing the NFC East lead at 2-3: “To make the NFL playoffs, shouldn’t your team at least be good enough to be bowl-eligible?”
Reeling it in
Darko Milicic, the 7-foot former NBA draft bust, told CorriereDelloSport.it that he spends a lot of his time fishing these days.
So just call him The Big One That Got Away — with about $52 million.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com