Lonnie and Zach Whitener? Just call them the Griffeys of golf.
Just as Ken Griffey Sr. and Jr. hit back-to-back home runs for the Mariners in 1990, Lonnie and his 13-year-old son carded holes-in-one on the sixth hole at River Pointe Golf Club in Richmond, Texas.
Dad’s was a 115-yard shot, son’s a 100-yarder. Bonus points: They did it on Father’s Day.
- Evergreen senior’s death, other player injuries renew football-safety debate
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Seahawks Game Center: Seattle holds off Detroit Lions for 'Monday Night Football' victory
- Reaction: National media reacts to controversial call on Kam Chancellor-forced fumble in Seahawks-Lions game
Most Read Stories
“It’s probably going to be the most memorable thing we accomplish together,” Lonnie Lonnie Whitener told the Houston Chronicle. “We’ll remember this forever. Now I can tell anyone, ‘Give me your best golf story, and I’ll one-up you.’ ”
Worse than shunked
Alfred “Tom” Mead landed a different kind of prize — seven days in jail — after he got caught bringing two live pike to pad his creel at the Park Rapids (Mich.) American Legion Community Ice-Fishing Derby in February.
And as punishment-fits-the-crime advocates point out, he’s also on the hook for $275 in fines and lawyer fees.
• At SportsPickle.com: “Rob Gronkowski has pre-emptive surgery on four remaining healthy body parts.”
• At TheOnion.com: “LeBron James joins elite company of two-time NBA champion Luke Walton.”
Saints 7, Falcons 0
Friendship Baptist — one of two churches standing in the path of the Atlanta Falcons’ proposed new stadium — has rejected a $13.5 million offer for its property, saying it wants $24.5 million.
Looks like they’re electing to receive.
Going, going, bong
White House staffers played a softball game against a bunch of marijuana lobbyists.
No word on which team won, but Indians closer Chris Perez reportedly got the save.
Win percentage: 331
Who says the LP — which Columbia Records debuted 65 years ago — has gone out of style?
The Miami Marlins release a new one nearly every day.
French historians, stealing a page from NHL spinmeisters, are now listing Marie Antoinette as out with an upper-body injury.
• Ian Hamilton of the Regina (Sask.) Leader-Post, on reports that Winnipeg defenseman Dustin Byfuglien weighed 302 pounds by season’s end: “Now that is a Jumbo Jet.”
• RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, on tennis star Victoria Azarenka’s new line of perfume: “Let me guess: Estee Louder?”
• Blogger TC Chong, pitching the Spurs’ Gregg Popovich as a potential Celtics coach: “He’s a natural; think Boston Pops.”
• Mike Bianchi of the Orlando (Fla.) Sentinel, after Patriots owner Robert Kraft claimed that Vladimir Putin pocketed his Super Bowl ring: “What’s Russian for ‘tuck rule’?”
Bed, Brit & beyond
A homeowner in Brighton, England, has offered a rent-free room if the tenant agrees to dress like a walrus each day.
Looks like Craig Stadler just found a place to stay during the British Open.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org