Jon Gruden has the morning line on this year's NFL draft: It's Alabama's. "Who really jumps at me is the offensive line, period," said ESPN's...
Jon Gruden has the morning line on this year’s NFL draft: It’s Alabama’s.
“Who really jumps at me is the offensive line, period,” said ESPN’s Jon Gruden. “(Barrett) Jones, the center. The left guard, (Chance) Warmack is a heck of a player. (D.J.) Fluker at right tackle.
“I’m starting to think that Mel Kiper could have run for 750 yards at Alabama.”
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- As fast-moving wildfire hits Quincy, police say Wenatchee blaze man-made
- Seahawks mailbag: Bobby Wagner's contract, Brandon Mebane's future, and more
- How Evergreen State prof guided Supreme Court on gay marriage
Most Read Stories
• In the Palm Springs (Calif.) Desert Sun, after Lindsey Vonn’s former husband sarcastically tweeted about Tiger Woods’ improper drop: “Ex narcs the spot.”
• At SportsPickle.com: “Man who calls in golf rules violations reportedly not much fun at parties.”
Sign and go
Kevin McGuff, the Washington women’s basketball coach, bolted the Huskies for Ohio State — just three weeks after agreeing to a contract extension through 2020.
Which automatically puts him on the watch list for the Steve Alford Award.
The Class A Florida State League fined and suspended Jorge Soler for five games after he rushed the opposing dugout brandishing a bat.
“The punishment could have been worse,” reasoned Janice Hough of LeftCoastSportsBabe.com, “but since he was a member of the Cubs organization, baseball officials figured he actually wouldn’t hit anything.”
• Marlins president David Samson, to HBO’s “Real Sports,” to Miami fans feeling cheated after the team gutted the roster upon getting a publicly funded stadium built: “Just because we got divorced doesn’t mean we were lying on our wedding day.”
• Hall of Famer Julius Erving, saying the 76ers need to open their wallet for free agency: “Washington and Lincoln can’t play the corners for you, but they can get somebody that can.”
• Ian Hamilton of the Regina (Sask.) Leader-Post, on Flower Seed Packet Night at Yankee Stadium: “Special guests for the evening … Ted Lilly, Pete Rose and Buster Posey.”
• Trevor Immelman, to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, refusing to nit-pick after shooting a 68, then a 75, at the Masters: “If I had to sit here and second-guess every shot over my 13-year career, I probably would be in a mental institution.”
Class is in session
“The movie ’42’ is out,” noted comedy writer Alex Kaseberg. “It is a movie about Jackie Robinson, so it is about class, courage, grace and dignity. Or as it is also known: ‘The Not Alex Rodriguez Story.’ “
Ducked that one
Oregon has acknowledged major NCAA violations in connection with football recruiting.
But the Ducks apparently escaped the much more serious charges — lack of institutional control and bad fashion sense.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org