The Los Angeles Dodgers withdrew Tuesday from the proposed three-team, 10-player trade that would have sent Randy Johnson from the Arizona Diamondbacks to the New York Yankees.
NEW YORK – The Los Angeles Dodgers withdrew Tuesday from the proposed three-team, 10-player trade that would have sent Randy Johnson from the Arizona Diamondbacks to the New York Yankees.
“As we sit here right now, the deal is no more,” Dodgers general manager Paul DePodesta said during a conference call. “I’ve been saying all along that we weren’t going to do the deal unless it made sense for this club in 2005, and that was not the case.”
Earlier in the day, an official of one of the teams and a person close to one of the players involved in the trade said the deal had been submitted early Tuesday to baseball commissioner Bud Selig for approval. The two spoke on condition of anonymity.
But Pat Courtney, a spokesman in the commissioner’s office, said in the afternoon that more documentation had to be submitted before Selig could consider the complex transaction.
“There were specific things in this deal that didn’t work out,” DePodesta said. There were a lot of things to work out, a lot of things that were tentatively agreed on, but still details that we needed to work through.”
Los Angeles would have received right-hander Javier Vazquez from the Yankees along with two top prospects, catcher Dioner Navarro and third baseman Eric Duncan. The Dodgers also would have gotten pitcher Mike Koplove from Arizona.
Arizona would have gotten outfielder Shawn Green and pitchers Brad Penny, Yhency Brazoban and Brandon Weeden from the Dodgers. Along with Johnson, the Yankees would have gotten pitcher Kaz Ishii from Los Angeles.