LOS ANGELES (AP) — Diana Taurasi became the WNBA’s career scorer leader, passing Tina Thompson’s mark of 7,488 on Sunday against Los Angeles.
Taurasi needed 14 points coming into the game, and broke Thompson’s record late in the first half on a layup with the Phoenix Mercury trailing big.
The game was stopped and the crowd, which included former Lakers star Kobe Bryant, gave Taurasi a warm ovation.
It only took the Mercury’s star 13 seasons to become the league’s top scorer. Thompson needed 17 seasons to achieve her total.
Most Read Stories
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Foreign buyers drop off as Seattle housing market hits hottest tempo since 2006 bubble
- Why watermelon is good for you
- Put down that cellphone; distracted-driving law is here
- ‘A painful and frustrating experience’: Horizon Air scheduling havoc will continue into the fall
Earlier in the season, Taurasi set the career 3-pointer record, passing Katie Smith.