Updated scouting report on Derek Jeter: good hit, big field.
The Yankee captain’s face is the subject of a 5-acre corn maze on VonThun Farms in South Brunswick, N.J., and while it won’t make anyone forget “Field of Dreams,” it has a certain aura about it.
As owner Cindy VonThun told AP: “To walk out in the field and to be on a path and to say, ‘I’m in Derek Jeter’s chin,’ it’s pretty cool.”
- Widespread Comcast outage reported in Puget Sound
- Oregon mother of missing boy: 'It doesn't get easier with time'
- Seattle cyclist crashes into pedestrian, then stabs him
- Largest organic grocer now Costco, analysts say
- Dumping of halibut sparks fight among North Pacific fishing fleets
Most Read Stories
• At SportsPickle.com: “Little League announces LLWS will move to new $400 million stadium in Los Angeles.”
• At Fark.com: “In ‘Why wasn’t this already a rule?’ news, NASCAR bars drivers from exiting cars after wrecks.”
Saskatchewan’s Moosomin Driving Range was forced to close down after 7,000 golf balls disappeared over the past year.
Just call it fore-gone conclusion.
Someone stole the cow head from a Chick-fil-A in Bellevue, Neb.
Insiders suspect Lee Corso needed a Texas Longhorns prop for “College GameDay.”
A broken water main outside Coors Field shut off the water to the stadium and postponed Saturday’s Rockies-Reds game.
Veteran seamheads say this can be the work of only one man: Crash Davis.
Chiefs star Jamaal Charles missed last Friday’s exhibition game because he slipped on a grassy slope carrying his belongings out of the team’s camp dorms, injuring his foot.
Apparently Charles needs a little more work as a downhill runner.
A Buffalo fan got a tattoo reading “Bills ’15 Super Bowl champs.”
Hey, it was either that or blow all the money on Power Ball tickets.
Talking the talk
• Scott Ostler of the San Francisco Chronicle, after Rob Manfred said he has “very big shoes to fill” in replacing Bud Selig: “Awkward! Apparently Manfred mistakenly believed he had been voted to become the next Phillie Phanatic.”
• RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, after a Quebec man was arrested for selling meth tablets bearing a Montreal Canadiens logo: “Makes you wonder what logo he had on downers — the Edmonton Oilers?”
• Len Berman of ThatsSports.com, on the academic-cheating investigation of four Notre Dame football players: “Win One For The Cribber.”
• Saints tight end Jimmy Graham, to ESPN.com, on his two celebratory goalpost dunks that drew 15-yard penalties: “I just love the game … I feel like a little kid out there. And sometimes I act like it.”
1, 2, 3, 4 … 1, 2, 3, 4 …
The Rockies’ Michael Cuddyer became just the third player in MLB history to hit a single, double, triple and home run in a game — in both leagues.
In other words, he hit for the bicycle.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com