Mary Hardin-Baylor fell behind early, but quickly righted itself and defeated Whitworth 71-63 in an NCAA Division III men's sectional tournament...
SPOKANE — Mary Hardin-Baylor fell behind early, but quickly righted itself and defeated Whitworth 71-63 in an NCAA Division III men’s sectional tournament game on Saturday night.
Whitworth (26-4) led 10-2 but the visitors came back to take a 33-24 halftime lead, which included an 8-0 Mary Hardin-Baylor run to end the first 20 minutes.
The Pirates rallied from a 10-point second-half deficit and took a 60-56 lead on a layup with 4:31 remaining, but Mary Hardin-Baylor (25-5) regained the lead at 61-60 on a three-pointer by Cory Meals with 3:24 left and never trailed again.
Cotton McCarger scored 20 for Whitworth. James Allen scored 21 for Mary Hardin-Baylor, which advances to the Elite Eight to face St. Mary’s (Md.).
- Turkey’s president, Putin hurl insults after plane downed
- Teen, one of 14 siblings, finally gets to be a kid
- Apple Cup Game Center: UW Huskies dominate No. 20 Cougars, shut down WSU's offense in Seattle
- Seattle sushi fans, rejoice: Shiro's new place is open
- 2015 Apple Cup might be the start of something big for UW, WSU