Freshman Lia Galdeira scored 33 points for the Washington State women, but the Cougars lost to Minnesota 87-83 in double overtime Saturday in the opener for both teams.
MINNEAPOLIS — Lia Galdeira made a memorable first impression for the Washington State women, but the Cougars lost to Minnesota 87-83 in double overtime Saturday in the opener for both teams.
Galdeira, a guard from Kamuela, Hawaii, set a WSU freshman record by scoring 33 points and added five steals. She surpassed the previous freshman mark of 28 points in a game shared by Nikki Mohr (1983) and Jazmine Perkins (2008).
Junior Sage Romberg had 13 points, seven rebounds and five assists for the Cougars in the Best Buy Classic game. WSU will play South Dakota State on Sunday at 9 a.m. PST in Minneapolis.
Romberg, on an assist from Galdeira, made a three-point shot with seven seconds left in regulation to tie the score at 66.
- Husky guide on UW cheerleading tryouts goes global
- CEO makes fiery emails about Muslims part of the workday
- Look like this, not that: UW pulls cheerleader-tryout advice after angry backlash
- Oh smack: Garbage truck hits Alaskan Way Viaduct
- Seahawks’ selection of Germain Ifedi in NFL draft has makings of a great fit
Most Read Stories
Galdeira made three jumpers to give WSU a 72-66 lead with 3:10 left in the first overtime.
Rachel Banham scored a career-high 34 points for Minnesota, and Micaella Riche had career bests of 29 points and 14 rebounds.
Seattle U men
The Seattle University men open their season at 6 p.m. Sunday when they host Montana State in an Elgin Baylor Classic nonconference game.
Hall of Famer Baylor is scheduled to be in attendance at KeyArena and present an award to the game’s most valuable player.
Seattle U officially joined the Division I Western Athletic Conference on July 1.
Oregon men win
EUGENE, Ore. — Tony Woods scored 14 points, including an emphatic two-handed dunk late in the game to put the Oregon men ahead for good, as the Pac-12 Ducks beat Northern Arizona 83-73 in the season opener for both teams.
• Jordan Bachynski collected 17 points, 11 rebounds and a school-record nine blocks as the Arizona State men beat visiting Central Arkansas 79-64 in their opener. The Sun Devils had a 20-2 run late in the first half.
• Pac-12 women’s teams UCLA and Utah defeated nonconference opponents in their openers.
Markel Walker scored 15 points to help UCLA beat visiting San Diego State 66-52.
Michelle Plouffe scored 29 points as the Utes downed host Denver 75-60.