OMAHA, Neb. – Vanderbilt and Virginia advanced to the best-of-three College World Series finals by winning games Saturday.
Tyler Campbell’s bases-loaded infield single in the bottom of the 10th inning gave Vanderbilt a 4-3 victory over Texas. The Commodores (49-20) give the Southeastern Conference a team in the CWS final series, which starts Monday, for the seventh straight year.
Josh Sborz and two Virginia relievers turned in a dominating pitching performance, limiting Mississippi to six singles in a 4-1 victory.
Virginia (52-14), from the Atlantic Coast Conference, has allowed two earned runs in 33 innings in winning its three CWS games, for an ERA of 0.55.
- Pursuit of big-money contract comes at a cost for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
- Paying the bill for U.S. Open at Chambers Bay
- Seattle man charged with vehicular homicide in cyclist’s death
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- As Puget Sound sweats, few air conditioners are cooling us down