USC football, basketball players to get 4-year rides
USC athletic director Pat Haden announced Monday the school will offer four-year scholarships to scholarship players on the football team and in the men’s and women’s basketball programs.
The policy becomes effective July 1 for current and future student-athletes in those sports. It represents a change from USC’s existing practice of offering football and basketball players one-year renewable scholarships.
- Rolled semi spills 14 million bees on I-5 near Lynnwood
- Man's journey to find birth mom ends — at work
- 14 million spilled bees on I-5: 'Everybody's been stung'
- Shawn Kemp to co-host party celebrating Thunder missing playoffs
- Rolled semi spills load of bees at I-5 and I-405 interchange
Most Read Stories
“In taking this action, USC hopes to help lead the effort to refocus on student-athlete welfare on and off the field,” Haden said.
NCAA legislation passed in August 2011 allows member schools to offer scholarships spanning multiple years.
Report: No evidence politics affected Penn State probe
A report detailing the handling of the Jerry Sandusky child-molestation case faults police and prosecutors for long delays in bringing charges, but found no evidence politics affected the investigation into the former Penn State assistant football coach.
The report, commissioned by Pennsylvania Attorney General Kathleen Kane and written by former federal prosecutor Geoff Moulton, blamed a three-year lapse in filing charges on communication problems, an expungement of a 1998 complaint about Sandusky and a failure to take certain investigative steps.
Then-Attorney General Tom Corbett, a Republican, was in the midst of his successful 2010 gubernatorial campaign during the Sandusky investigation. Moulton said his review “revealed no direct evidence that electoral politics influenced any important decision made in the Sandusky investigation.”
Sandusky, 70, was convicted in 2012 of sexually abusing 10 boys and is serving decades in prison.
As a candidate in 2012, Kane said Corbett might have had a political motive to slow down the investigation, an assertion Corbett denied. Sandusky’s arrest led to the firing of Hall of Fame coach Joe Paterno while Corbett was serving as a university trustee.
Notes about Schumacher’s case reportedly are stolen
Michael Schumacher’s management has warned someone is trying to sell documents that might be the medical files of the seven-time Formula One world-champion driver.
Nearly six months after suffering serious head injuries in a skiing accident, the 45-year-old Schumacher left a French hospital last week and was transferred to neighboring Switzerland to continue his recovery.
Schumacher’s manager, Sabine Kehm, said notes made about the German’s case have been stolen, and threatened to sue any publication willing to use them.
Wie celebrates her victory
Michelle Wie apparently put her tabletop putting stance to good use in the late hours after she became a U.S. Women’s Open champion in Pinehurst, N.C.
In a photo she posted to Instagram, the 24-year-old Wie is bent over so sharply her back is parallel to the ground. Only instead of a hitting a putt — like the 25-footer for birdie on the 17th hole Sunday at Pinehurst No. 2 that virtually clinched her first major title — her head is buried in the U.S. Women’s Open trophy.
A text message to Meg Mallon, captain of the 2013 U.S. Solheim Cup team, would seem to confirm what Wie was doing.
“She said, ‘It takes 21½ beers to fill up the U.S. Open trophy,’ ” Mallon said.
• Quarterback Mike Reilly signed a contract extension through the 2016 season with the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League.
Kennewick native Reilly, 29, was a standout at Central Washington. In 18 games for Edmonton last season, Reilly passed for 4,207 yards and rushed for 709 yards.
• The NFL Chicago Bears signed five-time Pro Bowl selection Adrian Wilson, 34, and veteran tight end Jeron Mastrud, 26, to one-year contracts.
Wilson, a strong safety who previously was with New England, missed all of last season because of an Achilles tendon injury.
• Lawyers representing Aaron Hernandez, 24, in his murder cases are continuing to challenge evidence seized from the home of the former New England Patriots’ tight end last June.
Hernandez is charged with the 2013 killing of semipro player Odin Lloyd. Hernandez is also charged with killing two men in a 2012 drive-by shooting in Boston. He has pleaded not guilty in all cases.
• The WNBA New York Liberty signed free-agent forward Charde Houston, 28. She was waived by the Storm in April after being acquired the previous month in a trade with the Phoenix Mercury.
• Oregon has suspended three former basketball players as students for a minimum of four years, and up to 10 years, as a result of sexual-assault allegations involving a freshman student.
Damyean Dotson, Dominic Artis and Brandon Austin were dismissed from the team last month after a student filed a police report alleging she was sexually assaulted by the players.
Prosecutors decided there wasn’t enough evidence to criminally charge the players, who said the sexual contact was consensual.
University officials concluded the players violated the student-conduct code.
Seattle Times news services