OMAHA, Neb. — North Carolina’s Hobbs Johnson combined with Chris McCue on a five-hitter, and the Tar Heels stayed alive in the College World Series with a 7-0 victory over North Carolina State on Thursday night.
Michael Russell drove in three runs for the top-seeded Tar Heels (59-11), the first on a sacrifice fly that resulted in a close play at the plate to open the scoring in the fourth inning.
Johnson allowed five singles, walked two and struck out six before leaving with one out in the ninth.
Carolina must beat UCLA twice — first on Friday and again Saturday — to reach the finals. North Carolina State finished 50-16.
- Amazon rolls out free same-day delivery for Prime members
- Marymoor Park concerts: Full lineup announced
- They were millionaires for 3 months, but Seattle couple didn't know it
- Capitol Hill light-rail station nearly ready for trains to rumble
- Nelson Cruz's home run in ninth inning lifts Mariners to sweep of Rays