Sheryl Swoopes, one of the top players in women's basketball history and a member of the Storm in 2008, is the new coach at Loyola of Chicago...
CHICAGO — Sheryl Swoopes, one of the top players in women’s basketball history and a member of the Storm in 2008, is the new coach at Loyola of Chicago.
The school announced the hiring Friday.
A standout at Texas Tech in the early 1990s and the first three-time MVP in the WNBA, Swoopes will try to boost a program that has struggled in recent years but finished with a winning record this past season.
The Ramblers only finished higher than fifth in the Horizon League once under former coach Eric Simpson, who resigned after leading them to a 57-66 record in four seasons. They went 17-15 this past season and reached the Horizon championship game.
- Tourists robbed, beaten downtown ‘afraid to go back’ to Seattle
- Animated map: How the wildfires in North Central Washington have grown over time
- Steve Sarkisian was reimbursed by Washington for hefty alcohol bills
- Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor holdout FAQ
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik
Most Read Stories
A three-time Olympic gold medalist, Swoopes stopped playing in 2011, and spent the past season as a TV analyst for Texas Tech women’s games.
Bob Hurley would
NEWARK, N.J. — Hall of Fame coach Bob Hurley of St. Anthony’s High in Jersey City, N.J., would consider taking over the Rutgers men’s program on a caretaker basis for a year or two.
The 65-year-old Hurley told The Associated Press that he indicated he would do it on a short-term basis to stabilize the program that was rocked after a video was aired last week showing now fired coach Mike Rice kicking and grabbing players while uttering anti-gay slurs.
Rutgers had talked with Bob’s son, Dan, but Dan Hurley accepted an extension Friday with Rhode Island.
• Reggie Theus, former coach of the Sacramento Kings, has taken over as the Cal State Northridge men’s coach.
• Mississippi men’s coach Andy Kennedy has his contract extended through the 2017 season and will pay him a base salary of $1.8 million annually, a raise of $500,000 per year.
• Saint Louis hired Jim Crews as the men’s coach, stripping his interim tag and making him the official replacement for Rick Majerus, who died last December.
• G.G. Smith was promoted to head coach for the Loyola (Md.) University men’s program following a six-year run as an assistant.
• Texas guard Myck Kabongo is skipping his final two seasons to enter the NBA draft. In two seasons, he started 45 games and averaged 10.8 points and 5.3 assists.
• San Diego State guard Jamaal Franklin is skipping his senior season to enter the NBA draft.
• Pittsburgh hired Suzie McConnell-Serio as its women’s coach. The 46-year-old McConnell-Serio went 123-68 in six seasons with Duquesne.