Seattle Pacific basketball star David Downs made Great Northwest Athletic Conference history Tuesday when he became the first to sweep the league’s male athlete and scholar-athlete of the year awards.
Downs, a senior from Bellevue Christian High School, also won the GNAC’s scholar-athlete award last year, making him just the second two-time winner of that award.
“We stress to the guys in our program that they compete both academically and athletically,” said SPU men’s basketball coach Ryan Looney. “One carries over to the other, and he’s definitely proven that.”
Downs was a consensus All-American on the court and compiled a 3.77 cumulative grade-point average at SPU, majoring in accounting.
- Evergreen senior’s death, other player injuries renew football-safety debate
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Seahawks Game Center: Seattle holds off Detroit Lions for 'Monday Night Football' victory
Most Read Stories
WSU adds guard
Trevor Dunbar, a 5-foot-10 guard from St. Ignatius College Preparatory in San Francisco, has signed a letter of intent to play basketball at Washington State.
Dunbar averaged 22 points, six assists, five rebounds and three steals a game as a senior.
• Women’s soccer player Julia Besagno and men’s tennis player Kevin Lynch are the 2014 winners of Seattle U’s Eddie O’Brien Student-Athlete of the Year award.
• Track and field athletes Frank Catelli and Bethany Drake have been named Western Washington’s athletes of the year. Two soccer fowards — Kristin Maris and Andrew Weishaar — were named WWU’s scholar-athletes of the year. Maris won it for the second year in a row.
• The U.S. men’s team that includes Snohomish’s Anthony Anderson, 48, placed seventh at the Wheelchair Tennis World Team Cup in Alphen, Netherlands.
• Former Eastern Washington All-American receiver Brandon Kaufman signed with the Canadian Football League’s British Columbia Lions. He was released by the NFL’s Buffalo Bills on May 16.
From sports-information reports.