BELLINGHAM – Hannah Huesers scored in the 55th minute, lifting Seattle Pacific’s women’s soccer team to a 1-0 victory over Sonoma State in a first-round game of the NCAA Division II tournament at Orca Field on the Whatcom CC campus.
The Falcons, the No.6 seed in the West Region, improved to 15-5-1, and advance to the second round on Saturday, where they will face No. 2 seed and host Western Washington.
Sonoma State, the No. 3 seed in the region, completes its season 13-5-3.
Huesers’ goal came after a pass played forward into the penalty area by Kaylie Winston. Heusers stepped around a Seawolves defender who was attempting to shield the ball and scored on a tap-in from 5 yards out.
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Watch: Former Mariners great Ichiro Suzuki pitches — yes, pitches — for the Marlins
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Gun violence: Don’t fear gun laws; let gun-owners help pay to fix the problem
- Evergreen High School football player critically injured during game
Most Read Stories
No. 6 seed Seattle Pacific was knocked out of the NCAA tournament in the first round by Chico State with a 1-0 loss in La Jolla, Calif. SPU’s season ended with a 12-4-3 record.
• No. 10 Western Washington rallied to beat host Alaska-Anchorage, 3-1, to improve to 20-3.
• Seattle Pacific bounced back from an opening-game loss to beat host Saint Martin’s, 18-25, 25-16, 25-20, 25-20.
• Seattle U fell, 3-1, at Missouri-Kansas City.
• Seven players signed national letters of intent to attend Washington, Husky coach Heather Tarr announced.
Krystal Aubert, Kelly Burdick, Kristin Cochran, Julia DePonte, Trysten Melhart, Kirstyn Thomas and Taylor VanZee have signed with the Huskies.
• Joslyn Goings, Emily Liddle, Zoey Schaefer and Alyssa Shermetaro make up Washington’s newest recruiting class, coach Joanne Bowers announced.
The four gymnasts represent four different states: Goings is from Arizona, Liddle from California, Schaefer from Minnesota and Shermetaro from Michigan.
From sports-information reports.