BELLINGHAM – Patrick Simon scored 29 points, 20 in the first half, as the Seattle Pacific Falcons ended Western Washington’s 36-game men’s basketball home winning streak with a 76-60 victory Wednesday night.
The 19th-ranked Vikings (10-4, 4-2 GNAC) hadn’t lost in Carver Gymnasium since Jan. 7, 2012, when Western Oregon prevailed, 83-73. That streak included 19 in a row against GNAC opponents, one short of their own conference record.
SPU’s last win against Western Washington in Bellingham was 84-70 on Feb. 22, 2011.
Simon was 10 of 13 and also had seven rebounds.
- Manhole cover crashes into SUV's windshield, killing driver
- Examining if the Seahawks would be a good fit for Matt Forte
- Woman’s throat cut in South Lake Union assault; man arrested
- 'Downton Abbey' star Brendan Coyle banned from driving
- Building with iconic Seattle P-I globe sold for $40M
Most Read Stories
David Downs and Cory Hutsen each scored 18 for the Falcons (14-4, 5-2 GNAC), who leapfrogged Western to take over first place in the conference.
Anye Turner led Western with 15 points, and Austin Bragg scored 14.
Seattle Pacific had a 13-point lead at halftime and kept it in double digits throughout the second half. The closest the Vikings came was 41-30 after getting the initial basket of the half.
• Washington State football coach Mike Leach has announced the signing of six new players.
The new players announced are safety Markell Sanders of Eastside Catholic; offensive lineman Nick Begg (Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.); wide receiver Calvin Green (Sacramento, Calif.); defensive end Dylan Hanser (Billings, Mont.); offensive lineman Sean Krepsz (Riverside, Calif.); and cornerback Marcellus Pippins (El Cerrito, Calif.).
The players are all enrolled in classes for the spring semester, which began Monday.
From sports-information reports.