Seattle Pacific drew the No. 1 spot in the Sporting News’ preseason rankings of NCAA Division II men’s basketball teams, and senior David Downs is projected as a first-team All-American in the magazine.
The Falcons advanced to the West Regional championship game each of the last two seasons, but fell in Bellingham to Western Washington both times. The Vikings, who won the 2012 national championship, are a preseason No. 9 selection.
Three SPU starters return, including Downs. He was a first-team all-league honoree who received the 2013 GNAC tournament MVP award after leading SPU to the title with a 72-70 victory over regular-season champion WWU.
- Seattle company copes with backlash on $70,000 minimum wage
- More pet-food recalls linked to potential salmonella contamination
- Seahawks sign four-year extension with linebacker Bobby Wagner worth a reported $43 million
- Impressions from Day Three of Seahawks' training camp --- Christine Michael, the center position, Tyler Lockett, and more
- After signing $43 million contract, Bobby Wagner admits he didn’t expect Seattle to draft him
Most Read Stories
• The team of Mary Sias of Portland and Jackie Nelson of Hillsboro, Ore., completed a wire-to-wire victory in the Pacific Northwest Women’s Senior Team Championship at Sunriver (Ore.) Resort. Sias and Nelson shot 11-over 224 to finish nine strokes ahead of second-place finishers Mary O’Donnell of Bellevue and Carol Dick of Lakewood. Cece
Patterson and Mary Jensen, both of Bend, Ore., finished third at 235.
From sports-information reports.