SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. –- Senior David Downs scored 27 points in his final game for 11th-ranked Seattle Pacific, which led by as many as 18 points in the first half Friday, but was unable to hold on in an 80-72 overtime loss to Cal State Stanislaus in the first round of the NCAA Division II men’s basketball tournament.
The second-seeded Falcons (26-6) saw their season end after losing for just the second time in their last 17 outings. They were the Great Northwest Athletic Conference regular-season and tournament champions.
Cal State Stanislaus, seeded No. 7, stretched its winning streak to eight games. The Warriors advance to Saturday’s West Region semifinal to play No. 3 seed Cal Poly Pomona (22-6).
Clinton Tremelling hit the game-tying three-pointer with 11.2 seconds left in the second-half clock to force overtime for Stanislaus (22-8). SPU had an attempt at the game winner, but Downs missed a baseline jumper at the buzzer.
- USC fires head coach Steve Sarkisian, former UW Huskies coach
- Seahawks coach Pete Carroll on Steve Sarkisian: ‘It breaks my heart’
- Seahawks’ Pete Carroll ‘baffled’ after late collapse vs. Bengals
- Time for Seahawks to accept that Marshawn Lynch may go from Beast Mode to Decreased Mode
- Smoking credit-card reader forces Seattle-bound flight to land in N.Y.
Most Read Stories
“I don’t know that we necessarily made a mistake that last possession before overtime when they hit a three to get it to that. They hit a tough shot,” said SPU coach Ryan Looney. “We still had a chance on our end, and unfortunately it didn’t go in.”
After Downs drained a jumper 10 seconds into the extra session, the Warriors netted the next 11 points.
• Western Washington University rallied from a 12-point deficit but could never take the lead in the second half as it fell 77-70 to Simon Fraser in the opening round of the NCAA Division II West Regional at Cal Poly Pomona.
Guard Katie Colard scored 20 points for Western (19-10).
• Whitman (28-1) beat visiting Christopher Newport 87-70 in the third round of the Division III tourney.
From team reports