Cameron Jones scored five of his game-high 28 points in the final minute, carrying Northern Arizona to a 73-69 college-basketball victory at Eastern Washington on Friday night.
CHENEY — Cameron Jones scored five of his game-high 28 points in the final minute, carrying Northern Arizona to a 73-69 victory over Eastern Washington on Friday night.
Jones made 12 of 15 shots and added nine rebounds for the Lumberjacks (8-9 overall, 2-4 Big Sky Conference.) Josh Lepley and Shane Johannsen added 11 points apiece for the Lumberjacks, who shot 54.9 percent.
Five players scored in double figures for the Eagles (6-12, 2-3), led by Benny Valentine’s 14 points off the bench.
Jeffrey Forbes of Federal Way added 13 points and Brandon Moore, a Bethel High School graduate, had 11 points and 10 rebounds for the Eagles, who were outrebounded 37-29.
- The latest on Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor's holdout
- Seattle restaurant manager killed hiking in Alaska
- Haggen sues Albertsons for $1 billion over big grocery deal
- Report gives Seattle drivers worst marks yet; Bellevue isn't far behind
- Seahawks trade Kevin Norwood, make other moves to get roster to 75
Most Read Stories
Glen Dean, a graduate of Roosevelt High in Seattle, scored 11 points for Eastern and Mark Dunn had 10.
Jones’ free throw pushed the Lumberjacks’ lead to 71-69 with 18.3 seconds left. The Eagles committed a turnover, and Jones converted a layup with six seconds left.
• Southern Indiana’s Jeron Lewis, 21, who collapsed on the court during a game Thursday night against Kentucky Wesleyan, died at a hospital.
Daviess County (Ky.) Coroner Bob Howe said preliminary results from an autopsy showed Lewis had an enlarged heart and might have died from a heart condition he might not have known he had. Fans reported seeing Lewis hit his head in the fall, but the coroner said, “He didn’t even bruise his head. It looks like it’s going to be a heart-related death.”
• Anthony Johnson, who previously played for Stadium High School in Tacoma and Yakima Valley Community College, scored 18 points to help Montana win 57-56 at Sacramento State.