The sixth-ranked Washington men’s soccer team had a surprisingly tough time with visiting Georgia State (1-5-1) on Sunday afternoon, settling for a 1-1 tie.
Josh Heard put the Huskies (5-0-2) ahead with his first goal of the season in the 28th minute, but Georgia State’s Amiri Abraham scored the equalizer just five minutes later.
Washington outshot Georgia State 20-8 and led in corner kicks 12-2.
More men’s soccer
- 1 killed, 5 injured in Snohomish Big Four Ice Caves collapse
- Starbucks prices here to rise 3.5 times as much as nationwide
- Seattle weather is an early peek at the future
- Subway suspends ties with spokesman Fogle after raid at home
- Seahawks mailbag: Russell Okung's future, Cliff Avril's role
Most Read Stories
• Seattle University (1-6-0) rallied for its first win of the season, 3-2 in overtime over Florida Gulf Coast (0-5-1).
“We’ve gone into overtime four times now in eight games, so it’s good to get a win,” said Seattle coach Pete Fewing.
In the 100th minute, Brady Ballew made the game-winner, his first goal of the season.
• No. 19 Gonzaga (4-2-0) defeated No. 21 Wisconsin 2-0 in Chicago.
• Northwest University’s team was named the “Adidas Team of the Week” in the Cascade Collegiate Conference.
• Washington State scored a pair of goals in each half to post a 4-0 victory at UC Irvine.
With the victory, the Cougars (7-0-2) wrapped up the nonconference portion of their schedule undefeated and extended their unbeaten streak to 13, the second-longest active streak in the country.
• Seattle University (4-2-2) defeated visiting Cal Poly 4-0 in its final nonconference match of the season.
“I was really pleased with our game today,” said coach Julie Woodward. “Most importantly, we got a shutout.”
• Gonzaga (3-4-1) played to a 0-0 tie against visiting Nevada.
Undefeated Tacoma boxer Mike Gavronski (13-0, 9 KOs) knocked out Tristan Todd of Memphis, Tenn., in the eighth round to claim the Global Boxing Organization (GBO) Super Middleweight Championship late Saturday at Little Creek Casino in Shelton.
From sports-information reports.