Cassie Callahan’s 80th-minute goal Thursday rallied third-ranked UC-San Diego to a 2-1 win over No. 21 Seattle Pacific in a season-opening women’s soccer clash at Triton Soccer Stadium in La Jolla, Calif.
It was a rematch of last year’s NCAA Division II West Region semifinal game that the host Tritons won 2-1 in double overtime to eliminate SPU from the playoffs. UC San Diego finished as the national runner-up, losing 1-0 to West Florida in the 2012 championship game.
The Falcons’ vengeful mood was visible early on Thursday as they outshot San Diego 11-2 en route to a 1-0 halftime advantage, but two second-half goals gave the Tritons the victory.
- 2 people killed in Seattle-area windstorm identified
- High winds stall firefighting efforts, fuel Tunk Block, Lime Belt fires
- Steven Hauschka's 60-yard FG gives Seahawks final edge over Chargers
- Jack Zduriencik’s M’s legacy: More than 3 dozen departed managers, coaches, scouts, staffers
- Offense needs big kick as Seahawks snag 16-15 victory
Most Read Stories
Washington State battled to a 0-0 draw at Boise State in nonconference action. The match was delayed about a half-hour due to lightning, and a second lightning delay the same length occurred at the 14-minute mark.
• Central Washington fell 2-0 to Adams State in its season opener in Alamosa, Colo.
No. 17 Western Washington cruised to easy victories in its first two matches of the season, earning 3-0 wins over Holy Names and Western Cal State-East Bay at the Western Oregon Invitational in Monmouth, Ore.
Seattle Pacific’s McKayla Fricker and Anna Patti finished 1-2, respectively, at the Alaska Cross Country Invitational in Fairbanks to lead the Falcons to a team title.
In the men’s race, SPU’s Turner Wiley finished sixth and the Falcons finished third out of three teams.
Chuck Milne of Vancouver, Wash., led the Senior PGA Championship at RMG Club at Oakbrook in Lakewood after shooting a 4-under 67 in the first round. He leads by one stroke over Tom Sovay of Mukilteo and Jeff Fought of Sisters, Ore.
From sports-information reports.