Scouting Gonzaga's first-round matchup
4:25 p.m. Thursday in Portland
TV: Channel 7.
Records: Gonzaga is 26-5 overall and won the West Coast Conference with a 14-0 record, capped by a WCC tournament victory. Akron is 23-12 overall, having won the Mid-American Conference tournament with a 65-53 triumph over Buffalo. In the regular season, it finished in a four-way tie in the MAC East with a 10-5 mark.
|F Austin Daye||6-10||So.||12.9|
|F Micah Downs||6-8||Sr.||9.2|
|C Josh Heytvelt||6-11||Sr.||14.9|
|G Matt Bouldin||6-5||Jr.||13.7|
|G Jeremy Pargo||6-1||Sr.||9.8|
|F Chris McKnight||6-7||Jr.||9.2|
|F N. Cvetinovich||6-8||Fr.||4.4|
|C Nate Linhart||6-8||Sr.||10.1|
|G A. Hitchens||5-9||Fr.||8.9|
|G Darryl Roberts||6-0||Jr.||8.0|
- UW, Alaska Airlines agree to naming-rights deal for Husky Stadium's field
- Wife upset dad disappointed in baby's gender
- A couple thoughts on Fred Jackson, Kam Chancellor and the Seahawks
- Kentucky clerks to license marriages as their boss is jailed
- Macy’s proposing changes to downtown Seattle store
Most Read Stories
Vs. Gonzaga: The teams have never met.
Common opponents: None.
Coach: Keith Dambrot (5th year at Akron, 115-50).
Local connections: None.
• This is Akron’s second trip to the NCAA tournament; the first was in 1986, when it was coached by Bob Huggins, the longtime Cincinnati coach now at West Virginia.
• The Zips beat Toledo 93-92 in overtime in the first round of the MAC tournament, but averaged 67 points in three other tournament games.
• Dambrot, an Akron grad who had an unsuccessful two-year stint at Central Michigan (20-34) in the early 1990s, coached LeBron James at St. Vincent-St. Mary High in Akron in 2000-01 before taking an assistant’s job with the Zips.
• Akron doesn’t knock you over statistically, shooting .419 from the field and .329 from three-point range, with a .89 assist-turnover ratio. The Zips shoot the three with abandon — they fired 753 overall and launched 37 against Toledo in the MAC tournament — and they defend it well, at .289 for the year.
• Linhart, reserve forward and leading scorer Brett McKnight and sub guard Steve McNees were named to the all-MAC tournament team.
|74||at Washington St.||52|
|89||at Tennessee, OT||79|
|93||at Loyola Marymount||60|
|69||Saint Mary’s, Calif.||62|
|72||at Saint Mary’s, Calif.||70|
|78||at San Francisco||73|
|81||at Santa Clara||73|
|58||at San Diego||47|
|83||Saint Mary’s, Calif.-y||58|
|x-Old Spice Classic|
|y-West Coast Conference|
|57||at E. Kentucky||69|
|85||at Fairleigh Dickinson||41|
|78||N. Carolina A&T||61|
|69||at Va. Commonwealth||73|
|77||St. Francis, NY||70|
|75||at UNC Greensboro||53|
|50||at Rhode Island||79|
|51||at Miami (Ohio), OT||64|
|62||at Bowling Green||52|
|65||at Ohio, OT||70|
|67||at Youngstown St.||53|
|78||at E. Michigan||41|
|79||at N. Illinois||83|
|63||at Kent St.||67|