Junior Diamara Planell Cruz tied for the top women’s pole vault mark of the day to lead six Washington track athletes who have qualified for the NCAA track championships. Cruz went 13 feet, 7 inches in the pole vault at the NCAA West Preliminary Round on Thursday in Fayetteville, Ark. Freshman Nick Harris posted the best qualifying time in the 1,500 meters at 3:42.84.
• McKayla Fricker of Seattle Pacific has been voted the Great Northwest Athletic Conference’s female track athlete of the year after winning the NCAA Division II 800 title last weekend in 2:06.18.
• Jeff Harada, an assistant coach at the U.S. Naval Academy the past three seasons, has been named the new women’s basketball coach at Central Washington.
- Husky guide on UW cheerleading tryouts goes global
- CEO makes fiery emails about Muslims part of the workday
- Look like this, not that: UW pulls cheerleader-tryout advice after angry backlash
- Oh smack: Garbage truck hits Alaskan Way Viaduct
- Seahawks’ selection of Germain Ifedi in NFL draft has makings of a great fit
Most Read Stories
• Vivian Frieson has been hired as an assistant women’s basketball coach at Seattle University.
From sports-information reports