Junior Diamara Planell Cruz tied for the top women’s pole vault mark of the day to lead six Washington track athletes who have qualified for the NCAA track championships. Cruz went 13 feet, 7 inches in the pole vault at the NCAA West Preliminary Round on Thursday in Fayetteville, Ark. Freshman Nick Harris posted the best qualifying time in the 1,500 meters at 3:42.84.
• McKayla Fricker of Seattle Pacific has been voted the Great Northwest Athletic Conference’s female track athlete of the year after winning the NCAA Division II 800 title last weekend in 2:06.18.
• Jeff Harada, an assistant coach at the U.S. Naval Academy the past three seasons, has been named the new women’s basketball coach at Central Washington.
- For UW, an Apple Cup victory that doubled as a breakthrough
- Bill Gates to commit billions for clean energy
- The story of one homeless girl, Brittany, who was failed time and again
- Black Friday protesters decry materialism, racism, violence
- Holiday and Independence Bowls are potential destinations for UW and WSU
Most Read Stories
• Vivian Frieson has been hired as an assistant women’s basketball coach at Seattle University.
From sports-information reports