Brittney Griner set a Big 12 tournament record with a career-high 45 points in Baylor's 86-65 victory over Kansas State in the semifinals. Baylor will face Texas A&M in Saturday's title game.
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Nearly every shot Brittney Griner put up before the game clanged off the rim, and the phenom for No. 1 Baylor was justifiably concerned.
“I kept hitting them short,” she said, “and I thought, ‘Oh, I hope this isn’t a sign.’ “
If it was any kind of sign, it was a good one.
Griner set a Big 12 tournament record with a career-high 45 points, and added 10 rebounds and seven blocks in the Bears’ 86-65 rout of Kansas State in the semifinals Friday.
- Black Lives Matter protesters march, conduct sit-ins in downtown Seattle
- Apple Cup Game Center: UW Huskies dominate No. 20 Cougars, shut down WSU's offense in Seattle
- Swarming defense, Myles Gaskin help UW Huskies rout WSU Cougars in Apple Cup
- With Luke Falk out, Peyton Bender will start at quarterback for WSU Cougars vs UW Huskies in Apple Cup
- Teardown town: 1,500 small houses replaced by giants since 2012
Most Read Stories
Griner finished 19 of 28 from the field to surpass her career scoring mark of 41 points, set in the Bears’ regular-season finale against Iowa State. She got a standing ovation from fans of both teams when she checked out of the game.
“They were in one-on-one coverage on Griner early in the game,” Baylor coach Kim Mulkey said. “That’s what they chose to do, and we threw it in there.”
Destiny Williams had 12 points and 14 rebounds for Baylor (33-0), which will play defending NCAA champ Texas A&M (22-9) on Saturday. The Aggies beat Oklahoma 79-66 to advance.
Brittany Chambers scored 18 points to lead Kansas State (19-13).