Coach Urban Meyer opened his first spring game at Ohio State with players gathered at midfield for a series of one-on-one battles before a crowd announced as 81,112 at Ohio Stadium, although there appeared to be fewer in attendance.
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Coach Urban Meyer opened his first spring game at Ohio State with players gathered at midfield for a series of one-on-one battles before a crowd announced as 81,112 at Ohio Stadium, although there appeared to be fewer in attendance.
The session started with defensive tackle John Simon and offensive lineman Jack Mewhort pushing like sumo wrestlers until one got the upper hand. Even top quarterbacks Braxton Miller and Ken Guiton went at it.
“I’ve got a little bit of a quick whistle when some of those guys are in there,” ex-Florida coach Meyer said. “I just wanted some good energy in there. Our quarterbacks, like anybody else, they’ve got to put their nose on people. You have to be very careful and very smart. And sometimes I’m accused of neither. But it was fun for the fans, and I know that our players came out of their shoes when we did that.”
Rod Smith ran for a 7-yard touchdown with 5:29 left to help the Scarlet beat the Gray 20-14.
- Amazon rolls out free same-day delivery for Prime members
- 'Granny panties' making a comeback as women say no to thongs
- They were millionaires for 3 months, but Seattle couple didn't know it
- Shopping video undoes woman's case against SPD
- Russell Wilson's agent says in 710 ESPN Seattle interview that contract talks are 'encouraging'
Most Read Stories
• Penn State’s game, attended by an estimated 60,000, was the first event at Beaver Stadium since Hall of Fame coach Joe Paterno died in January of lung cancer at age 85. Paterno was fired by school trustees in November in the aftermath of child sexual abuse charges against retired defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky.
Bill O’Brien coached and, under a scoring system that pitted offense against defense, the defense prevailed 77-65.
• Arkansas played 11 days after coach Bobby Petrino was fired because of a scandal that included the hiring of his ex-mistress and lying to athletic director Jeff Long.
Tyler Wilson completed 31 of 41 passes for 467 yards and three touchdowns as the Red routed the White 65-0 before 45,250, a record for a Razorbacks spring game.
• Ex-Nebraska cornerback Alfonso Dennard, 22, was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a Lincoln police officer, perhaps hurting Dennard’s status in this week’s NFL draft. Police allege Dennard hit an officer in the head.