OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Boston starter Chris Sale tied his own record by striking out at least 10 batters in an eighth straight game.
Sale reached the double-digit mark when he fanned Oakland’s Josh Phegley to end the seventh inning Friday night. Sale had previously struck out at least 10 batters in eight straight games in 2015 when he pitched for the Chicago White Sox.
The only other pitcher in history with eight straight double-digit strikeout games is Pedro Martinez, who did it in his final eight starts for Boston in 1999. Martinez ended that season with a relief appearance before striking out at least 10 batters in his first two starts in 2000.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle once again nation’s fastest-growing big city; population exceeds 700,000 | FYI Guy
- 2 Bellevue High students investigated in alleged rape of 14-year-old girl at Yarrow Point party
- Amazon opens Seattle grocery pickup sites to Prime members
- Trump’s budget proposal zeros out $1.1 billion for Lynnwood light-rail line
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
More AP baseball: www.apnews.com/tag/MLBbaseball