Feel better now, Texans fans?
Some cheers were heard from the hometown crowd on Sunday when Houston QB Matt Schaub — who’d thrown interceptions returned for touchdowns in each of his last four starts — got sacked and had to leave the game with an ankle injury in the third period.
Schaub’s replacement, T.J. Yates, came in — and went on to throw a 98-yard pick-six.
- Amid drought, Rattlesnake Lake reveals its roots
- Probe of 777 engine’s explosive failure pinpoints its origin
- Lloyd McClendon’s status is at the top of the new Mariners GM’s list
- Seattle-area teen loved football, says grieving father
- US airman who thwarted French train attack stabbed
Most Read Stories
• At SportsPickle.com: “Wholesome Cardinals fan publicly apologizes for coveting Yasiel Puig in his heart.”
• At YahooSports.com: “Houston, we have a pick-six problem.”
• At TheOnion.com: “Marcus Vick likely out for Sunday shift at Sbarro.”
Organizers expect to break college football’s attendance mark when Virginia Tech and Tennessee play at Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway in 2016.
“It’s also sure to set a record for most fans with a horrendous view of the field,” wrote Eric Kolenich of the Richmond (Va.) Times-Dispatch. “Gentlemen, start your binoculars.”
Did you see the A’s Jed Lowrie golf that one-hop pitch down the third-base line?
“It was a cricket swing,” said TBS broadcaster Buck Martinez. “He hit the googly.”
North by Southeast
A record eight Southeastern Conference football teams appeared in the latest:
a) AP top 25
b) NFL power rankings.
• Scott Ostler of the San Francisco Chronicle, on puck prodigy Tomas Hertl: “The Sharks’ keen, green, teen goal machine is the only guy in the NHL who is missing his front teeth because they haven’t come in yet.”
• ESPN’s Adam Schefter, on the Patriots’ reluctant tight end: “Rob Gronkowski has turned into the NFL version of Derrick Rose.”
• Ex-NFL great Rod Woodson, to Oakland’s KGMZ Radio, on Raider QB Terrelle Pryor’s upside: “The ceiling is through the roof.”
• Comedy writer Alan Ray, on the Lakers and Warriors playing two exhibition games in China: “They’ll see overcrowding, traffic congestion and air pollution. And once out of California, it’s on to Beijing.”
Paging Al Michaels
And this score just in: Broncos 21, Jaguars 19 — late in the third quarter.
Do you believe in minor miracles?
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com