A bad pedicure sidelines No. 1 Victoria Azarenka.
Just call it the mother of all foot faults.
Belarusian tennis star Victoria Azarenka, 23, pulled out of the Brisbane International semifinals last week, citing an ingrown toenail from — get this — a bad pedicure.
“They cut a little bit too much, and it got infected,” the world’s top-ranked woman told the disappointed crowd. “The doctor said it happens a lot. It’s never happened to me before, so it’s something that I am definitely going to prevent for the next time.”
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Watch: Former Mariners great Ichiro Suzuki pitches — yes, pitches — for the Marlins
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Gun violence: Don’t fear gun laws; let gun-owners help pay to fix the problem
- Evergreen High School football player critically injured during game
Most Read Stories
(And one of these is even true!)
• At SportsPickle.com: “Big Ten blows New Year’s resolution to not get humiliated again.”
• At Yahoo.com: “Man shoots collection of Dale Earnhardt memorabilia after death of pet snake.”
Circus 7, Jaguars 0
Another possible Tim Tebow circus in Jacksonville? So what?
“I say what the heck is wrong with the circus?” wrote Mike Bianchi of the Orlando (Fla.) Sentinel. “The circus is fun. And that’s more than you can say for the Jaguars during their last decade of mundane irrelevance. Give me a circus over a cemetery.”
Iowa State basketball player Anna Prins got engaged at center court after a game, and witnesses say there wasn’t a dry eye in the place. Apparently she said “yes” just before the 30-second clock went off.
Scratch that plan
What, no Chip Kelly for the Bills? And here we were hoping the land that gave us Flutie Flakes would soon be stocking store shelves with Buffalo Chips.
He’s old school
South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier says Gamecocks star Jadeveon Clowney was NFL-ready when he came out of high school.
“That’s such nonsense,” retorted ESPN’s Dan LeBatard. “He was ready after eighth grade.”
• Steve Schrader of the Detroit Free Press, on reports that Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander and supermodel girlfriend Kate Upton vacationed at a Caribbean resort: “Fortunately, there were no reports of Mark Sanchez tattoos on either of them.”
• Hartley Miller of Prince George, B.C.’s CIRX Radio, scanning his list of 2013 predictions: “Baseball: The Dodgers break the Yankees’ record for the highest payroll not to win a playoff series.”
• Greg Cote of The Miami Herald, on Ray Lewis III — son of the ex-Hurricanes great — joining the Miami football team next season: “Not sure of his chances of making the NFL, but about 90 percent sure of the chances his nickname will become RL3.”
• Reader Pat Proietta, to the N.Y. Post, with a sign you’ve seen too much holiday football: “I watched the movie version of ‘A Christmas Carol’ just to see the ghosts ‘move the chains.’ “
Ex-Lakers coach Phil Jackson and team vice president Jeanie Buss, his girlfriend of 13 years, are finally making wedding plans.
But here’s the $4 million question: Will Kobe Bryant serve as the ring-bearer?
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com