This is what you call playing lights-out basketball.
“A Division II game between Winston-Salem State and Johnson C. Smith ended in a 76-76 tie after a last-second shot hit an overhead light and the arena went dark,” noted Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald.
“The good news: This was the highest payoff for a prop bet in sports history.”
- A couple thoughts on Fred Jackson, Kam Chancellor and the Seahawks
- Haggen sues Albertsons for $1 billion over big grocery deal
- After McKinley, it’s time to consider renaming Rainier
- Six sickened by E. coli linked to local food truck
- Huskies’ colors for opener are purple, green
Most Read Stories
• At SportsPickle.com: “President Obama threatens North Korea with never getting to host a Super Bowl.”
• At TheOnion.com: “Study finds 60 percent of parents too busy with divorce to worry about football safety.”
Penalty on the play
Imprisoned ex-Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez will be limited to only one hour out of his cell per day after he got into an altercation with another inmate.
In other words, they’re dialing up the isolation play.
Women spend an average of 335 hours a year getting themselves ready in the morning, according to the Today/AOL Ideal to Real Body Image Survey.
Or roughly the equivalent of the Super Bowl pregame show.
Penalty on the play
Miami Marlins president David Samson was immediately voted off “Survivor” by:
a) fellow cast members of the CBS show
b) trigger-happy team owner Jeffrey Loria
Campus police in Williamsburg, Va., arrested former football walk-on Samuel Marshall on 18 drug-related charges.
Looks like he transferred from William & Mary to Cheech & Chong.
Russian to Judgment Dept.
From CBS’s David Letterman: Winter Olympian or James Bond villain?
• Vladamir Scorpius
• Andreas Wank
• Freek Van Der Wart
• Fanny Welle-Strand Horn
• Maximillian Largo
• Magnus Krog
• Hugo Drax
• Ted Ligety
[Olympians: Wank, Van Der Wart, Welle-Strand Horn, Krog and Ligety]
• Rick Reilly of ESPN.com, on 76-year-old Richard Petty challenging Danica Patrick to a stock-car race: “When is this going to happen? Tomorrow, please. America would gobble this up. Prime time, national TV, the nation Super Glued to it. Go Daddy vs. Old Daddy.”
• Bob Molinaro of the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, via Twitter, with a lingering Winter Olympics question: “Does a four-man bobsled come with cup holders?”
• Comedy writer Tim Hunter, pondering the next baseball hit musical: “Fiddler on the Retractable Roof.”
• Syndicated columnist Norman Chad, not impressed that the Wizards once boasted the third-best record in the NBA’s weak Eastern Conference: “This, of course, is the equivalent of being the third-best sushi chef in Turkmenistan.”
What do you get when you cross Russell Wilson with a Seattle weather forecast?
Good chance of a shower at halftime.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org