Has any high-school baseball team ever boasted a bigger-bucks battery than Highland Park in Dallas?
That’s where future Dodger Clayton Kershaw — just signed to a $215 million contract — once threw pitches to classmate Matthew Stafford, now the NFL Lions’ $76.5 million quarterback.
In football, Stafford took his snaps from Kershaw.
- Seattle man charged with vehicular homicide in cyclist’s death
- Paying the bill for U.S. Open at Chambers Bay
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- Polygamous Montana trio applies for marriage license
- Undetected measles led to Clallam County woman’s death
Most Read Stories
• At SportsPickle.com: “Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase says he’s not interested in the Browns job, instantly becomes frontrunner for Browns job in 2015.”
• At TheOnion.com: “Sports media not sure how it’s going to fit Super Bowl coverage into just 2 short weeks.”
That’s a longshot
Investor Warren Buffett is offering $1 billion to anyone who fills out a perfect bracket for this year’s NCAA basketball tournament.
Mathematicians say the chances of that happening are about 1 billion to 1, or roughly the same odds as hearing the words “Chicago Cubs, 2014 World Series champion” or “Richard Sherman, SI Sportsman of the Year.”
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is considering eliminating the extra-point kick after touchdowns.
That would certainly be welcome news for the Broncos’ well-worn Matt Prater, the first NFL kicker in danger of lower-extremity RSI.
“Ask yourself this,” wrote Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun. “When was the last time the Raptors were in first place and the Lakers, Celtics and Knicks were potential lottery teams? Is this answer ever?”
Something’s gotta give
The Broncos — who’ve elected to wear orange jerseys against the Seahawks — are 0-3 wearing orange in Super Bowls but are 14-2 at home in orange with Peyton Manning at quarterback.
Talking the talk
• Janice Hough of LeftCoastSportsBabe.com, on lame-duck baseball commissioner Bud Selig set to receive the first Bud Selig Leadership Award: “Thereby managing to get a redundancy and an oxymoron in the same sentence.”
• Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, on talkative Seahawks DB Richard Sherman working on his master’s degree at Stanford: “Here’s one commencement speech you don’t wanna miss.”
• NBC’s Jimmy Fallon, on Manning’s peers voted him as the most well-respected NFL player: “In fact, the Patriots spent three hours moving out of his way.”
• RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, on the engagement of golfer Rory McIlroy and tennis player Caroline Wozniacki: “It seems like yesterday these crazy kids were juggling dating and being No. 1.”
The sporting thing
The East Coast has been hit with blizzard-like conditions, less than two weeks before Super Bowl XLVIII in East Rutherford, N.J.
The Seahawks really ought to do the right thing and offer to let them play the big game in Seattle.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org