Michelle Wie won the U.S. Women’s Open, then got a celebratory champagne shower from some of her fellow players.
“Can you imagine that in men’s golf?” wrote Scott Ostler of the San Francisco Chronicle. “Tiger wins U.S. Open, Phil and Rory rush onto the green and spray him with champagne?
“Pepper spray, maybe.”
- Richard Sherman asks for Tyler Lockett-Mario Kart mashup, the internet answers
- Seahawks trade Kevin Norwood, make other moves to get roster to 75
- The latest on Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor's holdout
- Seattle restaurant manager killed hiking in Alaska
- The Californians keep coming, but King County gives back
Most Read Stories
• At TheOnion.com: “Brazilian government vows to use all money from World Cup for much-needed soccer infrastructure.”
• At SportsPickle.com: “Triumphant Jurgen Klinsmann rips critics: ‘I told you idiots we weren’t good enough.’ ”
Grounds for angst
Waffle House restaurants, with the U.S. set to play Belgium in the World Cup, called for an immediate boycott on Belgian waffles.
Bet Starbucks is glad the U.S. never had to play the Brazilians.
The worst slugging percentage in MLB can be found in:
• The San Diego Padres’ batting order.
• The middle of a so-called baseball brawl.
Among the 10 reasons soccer is un-American, from SportsPickle.com:
• “George Washington never played soccer.
• “When a U.S. president takes the oath of office, he puts his hands on the Bible. Not his foot.
• “Other countries like it.”
Take me out to the futbol game?
For it’s one, two, three bites you’re out, Luis Suarez.
Browns QB Johnny Manziel was partying at Justin Bieber’s place in Hollywood when police were called to answer a noise complaint, TMZ reported.
Luckily for Johnny Football, bad taste isn’t a 15-yard penalty.
• Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, on the lack of offense at this year’s College World Series: “One CWS pitcher recorded 17 strikeouts and gave up a single hit. And that was in batting practice.”
• RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, on second-seeded Li Na’s upset loss at Wimbledon. “Barbora Zahlavova Strycova overwhelmed her — 23 letters to 4.”
• Actor Steve Martin, via Twitter, when asked about the “Three Amigos”-style suit that Andrew Wiggins wore during the NBA draft: “You gotta have the hat.”
• Steve Schrader of the Detroit Free Press, on the Pistons’ chances of landing LeBron James: “About the same as getting bitten by a shark and a soccer player on the same day.”
NBA pundits predict that second-round pick Thanasis Antetokounmpo will have an immediate impact on the Knicks.
The need for long-sleeved jerseys, for one.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com