Even diehard soccer fans are blushing. Police wielding tear gas broke up brawling fans and abruptly ended a game in Istanbul, Turkey ...
Even diehard soccer fans are blushing.
Police wielding tear gas broke up brawling fans and abruptly ended a game in Istanbul, Turkey — a wheelchair basketball game.
Several players were attacked and numerous wheelchairs damaged in the melee, which broke out with Galatasaray leading rival Beikta, 31-26, in the second quarter.
“Who will pay the price for the injured athletes and supporters?” Galatasaray coach Sedat Ýncesu told hurriyet.com.tr. “If hooligans are now seen in wheelchair basketball, then we have nothing to say, it is over.”
- Woman knocked unconscious by falling drone during Seattle's Pride parade
- Residents return to ‘war zone’ in wake of Wenatchee wildfire
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- How ISIS methodically groomed a lonely young Wash. state woman
- Lake City residents fight to regain use of now-private beach
Most Read Stories
• At TheOnion.com: “Seahawks limit Cardinals to 154 yards on flight home from Seattle.”
• At Fark.com: “RG Knee.”
Portland set an NBA record for three-point futility — shooting 0 for 20 — in Monday’s 92-74 win over Toronto.
On the bright side, though, the Blazers show promise as future weathermen or political pundits.
Among the least-Googled sports terms of 2012, from SportsPickle.com:
• “Astros playoff tickets” (did you mean: “Triple-A baseball”?)
• “Notre Dame football jokes” (did you mean: “USC football jokes”?)
• “Tim Tebow highlights” (did you mean: “2011”?)
Ex-NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue threw out the suspensions of the four players in the New Orleans Saints’ bounty scandal.
So now it’s your call, Santa — naughty or nice?
Among the top perks of winning the Heisman Trophy, as presented by Johnny Manziel on the David Letterman show:
• “This Saturday, guess who’s driving the team bus?
• “I no longer have to go to practice.
• “Maybe mom will stop nagging me to go to dental school.”
Talking the talk
• BYU football coach Bronco Mendenhall, to the Deseret News, on reports linking him to the Colorado vacancy: “I didn’t express any interest, haven’t been contacted, didn’t interview and didn’t know I was a candidate. Other than that, I guess I’m a finalist, from what I’ve been told.”
• Blogger Chad Picasner, after a recent survey declared Boston to be the smartest U.S. city: “If so, then how do you explain hiring Bobby Valentine?”
• Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, after Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly was named college football’s coach of the year: “Technically, ‘Anybody but Urban Meyer’ received the most votes.”
Stop the presses
ESPN president John Skipper, in a startling turnabout, says the cable giant went way overboard on its Tim Tebow coverage and needs to cut back on it.
Egads, the Mayans were right — the end IS near!
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com