Talk about a backup slider.
Andrew Cowen bowled a 280 game in Rockford, Ill., last week — backward — with a one-pin spare in the second frame the only blemish, breaking the world record for reverse keglers by two pins.
“Nobody’s thrown a 300 (backward),” Cowen told WTKR-TV, “and I figured it would be an interesting challenge to throw that way.
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- Seattle man charged with vehicular homicide in cyclist’s death
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- Seahawks mailbag: Bobby Wagner's contract, Brandon Mebane's future, and more
- As fast-moving wildfire hits Quincy, police say Wenatchee blaze man-made
Most Read Stories
“It’s a lot of fun. A lot of people come down and say, ‘Hey, that’s really neat. What’s going on? How do you do it?’ ”
Itching to play
“I know the rules in baseball aren’t going to change,” Yankees outfielder Ichiro, riding the pines for the first time at age 40, told the Newark (N.J.) Star-Ledger, “but maybe they can play four outfielders?
“I haven’t thought about that before. But now I do.”
Box seats still available
A musical version of “Rocky” has opened on Broadway.
Veteran theater-watchers say this one has “hit” written all over it.
Injury of the Week
Win one for the dipper?
Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez had to leave last Wednesday’s 6-5 victory over the Marlins because of dizziness — from swallowing his chewing tobacco.
Will jock for food
Paulina Gretzky — Wayne’s daughter and PGAer Dustin Johnson’s fiancee — created quite a stir last week when she was pictured in a white bikini top and matching leggings on the cover of Golf Digest.
Somebody pulled off one heck of a power play at the design meeting.
Going, going, gone
The minor-league Syracuse Chiefs will host one of baseball’s best promotional events this season — Deport Justin Bieber Night — with fans voting to decide his fate.
From Bieber’s perspective, wouldn’t that be considered an away game?
• Janice Hough of LeftCoastSportsBabe.com, after Cubs outfielder Junior Lake wore the wrong road jersey in the first inning in Pittsburgh: “Out of habit, Roger Goodell fined him $20,000.”
• Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, on Vladimir Putin’s divorce: “Bad news for Vladimir: His wife got the Super Bowl ring.”
• From Fark.com, on Tiger Woods undergoing back surgery: “Apparently doctors were able to remove all the fragments from what appears to be an old 9-iron.”
• RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, on NASCAR driver Ricky Stenhouse Jr. being five years younger than girlfriend Danica Patrick: “Finally, a racer she can stay ahead of.”
Sorry, no Ms. Pacman
The NFL’s “stadium experiences” app — which the Seahawks and two other teams used last season — includes letting fans purchase an in-seat visit from a cheerleader.
But no, Pacman Jones, you don’t get to buy one for the Bengals’ bench.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org