Take that, Mighty Casey!
Yes, Kendyl Boltz struck out with the game in the balance, too — but her whiff wound up winning the Montana AA state softball championship for Billings West High School.
When the third strike got away from the Big Sky catcher in the bottom of the seventh and two throwing errors ensued, Boltz bolted all the way around the bases to snap a 2-2 tie.
Noted Timothy Burke of Deadspin.com: “Fred McGriff and Tom Emanski were dispatched immediately to Missoula for an emergency fundamentals transplant.”
- Expect traffic delays when Obama visits Seattle Friday afternoon
- Huskies upset USC 17-12 and beat Steve Sarkisian, their former coach
- Win over USC puts UW’s coaching upgrade (Chris Petersen over Steve Sarkisian) on full display
- Lloyd McClendon will not return as Mariners' manager
- Even in death, 'Up' house owner Edith Macefield remains a mystery
Most Read Stories
Hop in the coupe, kids
Little League Baseball, founded in 1939, turns 75 this year.
Coincidence? Just one year later, the very first Dairy Queen opened.
Angling for trouble
Police in Lufkin, Texas, were summoned after a woman reportedly hit her sister-in-law in the face with a catfish, but no charges were immediately filed.
Though eye-for-an-eye advocates remain hopeful she’ll be caught and released on bail.
Now that’s old
Archaeologists in Israel have uncovered some 3,000-year-old jewelry.
Most notable find thus far: Tim Duncan’s first NBA championship ring.
Soccer dads rejoice
Major League Soccer, taking a season break for the World Cup, didn’t schedule any games for June 15.
Translation: There’ll be a lot fewer ties on Father’s Day this year.
The 49ers locked up QB Colin Kaepernick with a six-year, $126 million deal.
Or as he’s now known around the locker room, Salary Kaep.
Shot in the arm, please
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly says his big-bucks lineup needs better chemistry.
(Readers: Insert your own Jose Canseco punchline here.)
• Former Times editor Joshua Beach, via Facebook, on the NFL scrapping the Roman numerals and calling its 2016 title game Super Bowl 50: “I guess my prediction that the Vikings and Bills would play in Super Bowl L isn’t going to come true.”
• Brad Rock of Salt Lake City’s Deseret News, after an 89-year-old woman wielded a golf club to fend off a convenience-store robber in Moses Lake: “Otherwise known as the ‘Elin Nordegren maneuver.’ ”
• Albert Chen of SI.com, after Boston manager John Farrell and two of his acting successors were ejected in a 3-2 win over the Rays: “It wasn’t clear who was next in the line of managerial succession for the Red Sox. Maybe Secretary of State John Kerry?”
Paging Lance Armstrong
France is experimenting with paying its citizens to ride bicycles to work.
It’s not all that bad, workers say, once you get used to the mountain stages.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com