Share story

A 16-year-old boy who was convicted of raping a girl and woman on consecutive nights in Kent in 2011 could spend the rest of his life in prison.

Chrisean Cressel, who was 15 when the attacks occurred, was sentenced last week to a minimum 20 years in prison by a King County Superior Court judge. But he received an indeterminate sentence, so the state’s Indeterminate Sentencing Review Board could decide he should face an even longer prison term — including up to life.

“It is extremely rare to see an offender this young become a predatory serial rapist,” King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg said in a news release. “The victims of his crimes were courageous throughout the process, and their strength and cooperation ensured that this young man will be incarcerated for at least 20 years, up to life.”

Both victims were walking home from their bus stops when Cressel approached them, told them he had a gun and led them to secluded areas, where he raped them, according to charges.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

The first victim, a 19-year-old woman, was attacked just before 10 p.m. on Oct. 29, 2011. She had gotten off a bus at 116th Avenue Southeast and Southeast Kent Kangley Road and headed home when she noticed a young male on an orange-and-black BMX bicycle following her. He grabbed her arm as she walked by a shopping center and threatened to shoot her if she refused to go with him.

“She did not see a gun but was terrified,” prosecutors said in charging documents.

Cressel made the woman push his bicycle as he gripped her arm, leading her behind a chiropractor’s office, where she was raped, court documents say.

Afterward, he walked with her back to the shopping center before riding away on his bike, prosecutors said.

The next night, he targeted a 17-year-old girl who had left a bus around 7:30 p.m. and was walking east on Southeast Kent Kangley Road.

As the girl turned south on 116th Avenue Southeast, she saw a young male walking through an apartment-complex parking lot who circled around and began following her, prosecutors said.

He grabbed her shoulder, shoved what she believed was a gun into her back and pushed her south on 116th Avenue Southeast to the driveway of the complex. He took her around to the back and raped her, court documents said.

Surveillance video taken from nearby businesses as well as reports from witnesses who had seen the teen on his bike in the neighborhood led police to Cressel’s nearby home.

One victim identified Cressel from a photo montage, and the state crime lab found his DNA in evidence collected from both victims, according to charging documents.

The teen, who told police he had been expelled from Kentwood High School for fighting, was arrested at the school Nov. 7.

Cressel originally was charged also with two counts of first-degree kidnapping; they were dropped in exchange for his guilty pleas to two counts of first-degree rape.

Christine Clarridge can be reached at 206-464-8983 or

Information from The Seattle Times archives is included in this report.

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.